Kenya and Tanzania. Part 2

Nov 8th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Kenya and Tanzania. Part 2

We left Gamewatchers Porini Cheetah camp and flew from Ol Seki air strip to Migori. From there we transferred via road to the border town of Isebania, a trip of 45 minutes. We walked across the border into Tanzania and then drove 10 minutes to the Tarime airstrip. We boarded a flight to the Sedona airstrip in the central Serengeti.
2 nights at the Namali Serengeti camp. This tents in this camp are beautiful. Solid doors, hot water anytime, modern glass showers. Glamping at its best. The downside was the tetsi flies. Also the Safari vehicle was open and the people in the third row had to duck down to see anything because the canvas flaps hung down too low. The roads were very dusty because of all the other vehicles in the park. On the way to Camp we spotted a Cheetah on a rock but it was too far away to get a good picture.
The next day we spent a full day on Safari stopping for lunch at a picnic sight. After lunch we heard there was a leopard spotted in a tree. We went to the area where there were 30-40 vehicles jockeying for a view of the leopard. Once again we were reminded of how fortunate we were to experience the concervacies in Kenya when we were the only people and even then they had a 4 vehicle max. at any sighting. We saw elephants and many birds but the animal population was not as abundant as in Rhino Camp and Cheetah campin Kenya.
The food at Nimali Serengeti was amazing. That evening during dinner I felt a sharp sting on my ankle. We looked under the table to see a small brown scorpion crawl beneath the floor boards. It had stung me just above my hiking boot.
it was swollen and painful. By 1 o’clock in the morning the pain was excruciating. We called the camp manager who had some stronger pain meds and some ice. I swear it was worse than giving birth to my 3 children. The pain lasted for 30 hours before subsiding. We have a house in Arizona and although we see a lot of bark scorpions I have never been stung before.
Day3. Flight to Manyara. Approximately 45 min. Picked up by Nimali guide Dominic and went to Lake Mayanara NP. Lunch in the park. Lots of elephants, hippos and Baboons. Drove to Karatu and night at Thomas lodge. Nice lodge with a swimming pool on a coffee plantation.
Day4. Ngorongoro crater for a half day game drive. We arrived at the crater rim early with the haze still blanketing the crater floor. Descended into the crater and saw Elephants,black rhino, lions,zebra,pink flamingos,hippos..... after lunch we headed out of the crater for a few hours drive to our next camp Nimali Tarangire.
Day 5 and 6. Nimali Tarangire Camp. The general consensus was that this was the most beautiful camp that we stayed at. The tents were modern, large. Solid doors,hot water. The dining tent and lounge looked over the swimming pool and a watering hole. The road into the camp was a bit bumpy but the safari vehicles were very comfortable and had the pop up roofs for picture taking and viewing.
we went for a full day into Tarangire NP. Even though it is a NP it was not very busy. We saw amazing animals. Leopard sleeping in a tree. Lions mating. We learned that lions mate every 10-15 minutes for 5-6 days. Also saw elephants ,wildebeest, jackels, and numerous birds. Dominic was an incredible spotter/driver
Day6. Drive to Mt Kilimanjaro airport near Arusha about a 3 hour drive for our flight back to Nairobi.
last night spent at the Eka hotel again. I would highly recommend this hotel as it is close to Wilson airport and not to far from JKIA airport
We had an amazing 2 weeks in Kenya and Tanzania. The animal sighting were better than what we had seen in S. Africa and Zambia. Gamewatchers did a great job with organizing flights and the camps were incredible. The fantastic staff helped to make the experience once in a lifetime. Our 6 kids are still pinching themselves. We decided that we wanted to create experiences with our kids while we still can. Also they are planning to start families and don’t have the money to travel so it makes for a great Xmas gift. I am hoping to do Raja Ampat with them next year.
Nov 10th, 2018, 05:33 PM

Scorpion bite - sounds horrible! Tsetse flies are my enemy. Painful swelling for days.

conservancies in Kenya +++++
people in the third row had to duck down to see anything - that's just wrong!

It sounds like a wonderful trip with your family! Lucky everyone!

Search this Thread