Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

My Itinerary? Anything else I should see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi... I just wondered if there is anything else I should try and squeeze in to my itinerary, perhaps on the free days when, even though there is nothing planned, I do have the services of a guide and driver available. Or, perhaps I just might use these days to laze about like one does on a holiday. Many have said they would not go to Alexandria, but I asked specially for that, and to see the cemetary, as opposed to Hurghada where Lady Egypt Suggested.

Day 1 Arrive Cairo 5 pm (so the day is a write off after hideous 24 plus hours flight from Australia)
Day 2 Free day (I figured with the long trip from Oz I would be jetlagged and didn't want to have a "big ticket item" to see on this day and not be up to it. I might just go on a drive around. Evening Sound & Light show at Pyramid
Day 3 Egyptian Museum
Day 4 Pyramids & Sphinx & Sakkara
Day 5 Citadel of Saladdin, Ibn Tuliun Mosque, Khan Kahili Bazaar, Coptic Cairo, Hanging Church, Church of St Sergius
Day 6 Alexandria - WWII Museum & Cemetery
Day 7 Alexandria - Montaza Gardens, Catacombs, National Museum, Library
Day 8 Return to Cairo
Day 9 Flight to Aswan - Felucca to Elephantine & Kitchener Island
Day 10 Abu Simbel - flight there and afternoon at Nubian Museum
Day 11 Rest Day
Day 12 Nile Cruise -High Dam Philae Temple, Majestic Temple
Day 13 Nile Cruise - Kom Ombo, Edfu Temple
Day 14 Nile Cruise - Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple - free afternoon
Day 15 Luxor - Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut Temple, Colossi of Memnon - afternoon free - but perhaps Luxor Museum
Day 16 Luxor - Cairo - Amman Jordan).
Day 17 Amman Roman Ruins & Amphitheater, Archaeological Museum, desert castles, caravansary El Khara
Day 18 Jerash & Dead Sea - Triple arched gate, Hippodrome, The Theatre, Roman Forum, then floating in the dead sea and relaxing in the afternoon
Day 19 Dead Sea & Petra - Byzantine Church of Mt Nebo, Mosaic Map of Palestine, Castles of kerak
Day 20 Petra
Day 21 Wadi Rum (Jebel Rum camp I believe)
Day 22 Back to Cairo - dinner & Show at floating restaurant
Day 23 Free day (to go back and see things we loved, or new things - my friend who visited Egypt said she felt she needed to see the Egyptian Museum twice
Day 24 Depart Cairo for Kuala Lumpur and next step

I am satisfied with my trip.. so please don't tell me it is "horrible"! I had no big expectations about what to see, apart from the "usual big draw cards"... but maybe there might be some little sneaky thing that is forgotten and I can squeeze it in.

I will arrive in Cairo the first week of September.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I think your itinerary looks fabulous. Definitely don't skip the Luxor museum - it's a winner. I'd also try to include the Citadel while in Cairo. At Jerash, you can easily hire a private guide when you arrive (or at least that was the case 5 years ago). We thought it was worthwhile. Floating in the Dead Sea is amazing.
A balloon trip in Luxor was probably the highlight of our trip to Egypt.
Day 5 seems like a bit much. Will you have a driver?
Enroute back to Cairo, if possible, a stop at a Coptic monastery is fascinating.
While in Alexandria, be sure to stroll the downtown shopping area at night.
You've got a great trip lined up!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM

Day 5 isn't bad at all-we did it with Lady Egypt and it wasn't long or tiring in the least.I think that your itinerary is great-wish that we had had more than a day in Alexandria as I really enjoyed the town and sites. I hope that you have a great trip!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM

Miss Green-looking forward to meeting up with you at the Marriot before you head home. I'll want to see what your impressions were since we will be doing what you have just done. Its getting closer!!!! Chris
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Althom, yes we will have a Lady Egypt Guide & Driver.

BeniciaChris.. we will have to work out a way to contact each other whilst in Egypt just to confirm we'll be able to meet. I know we plan to, but just in case we held up from getting back from wherever we are that day. I'll be envious of you... you have your trip still ahead of you and my time in egypt will be drawing to a close.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Do you plan to see any of the evening light shows while in Egypt? I saw the light show at Philae, Karnak, and Abu Simbel, and I have to say that Abu Simbel had the best light show of the three. The narrated stories for all three were cornies I must say, but that's a small quipple from me. At Abu, I simply took off my English headphone and just enjoyed the light show and whatever language was playing in the soundspeaker. Believe me, it sounded much more romantic when you couldn't understand it

In Cairo, if you have the time and are there at the correct night (Wed and Sat, I think), I would squeeze in the Sufi Devish whirlwind dancing. You'll be very entertained. The guy in the back of me commented that he couldn't believe the show was free. I agree. I would've been happy to pay to see it. Just get there at least a half hour early to claim a good seat towards the front.
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:33 PM

For your Day 14 where you have an afternoon free after touring Karnak and Luxor Temple, you might want to revisit Luxor in the evening. The sun will be setting at some times after 7, and Luxor Temple will be lit up at around 7:45 or so. The temple is very pretty in the evening, especially around the moment where there is still light in the sky and the temple is all lit up.

For Day 15 when you plan to also visit the Colossi of Memnon, I suggest seeing it the first thing in the morning before your visit to the VOTK and Hatshepsut. The Colossi looks so much better in the early morning light then under the overhead midday sun. There are also lots of pigeons that congregate on the Colossi later in the day that make it unattractive to be photographed, imo.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Sufi Devish Whirlwind Dancing? Sounds interesting. Thanks for the great sugestions Axel and everyone else.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Where is the Sufi Whirling Dirvish show?? We will be back in Cairo on Oct 16th-a Sat. & It happens to be our anniversary. I would love to see it. I wanted to see in Turkey but didn't make it. Thanks for info. Chris
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:21 PM

The free Sufi concert is at the Wikala of Sultan Al-Ashraf Qansuh Al-Ghuri. The guide books map will probably have it labeled as Wikala of al-Ghuri. You use a footbridge to cross Sh Al-Azhar street to get to the Mosque-Madresa and Mausoleum of Al-Ghuri complex. From there walk a few blocks east to get to the Wikala.

Check your guide books for it.
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:53 AM

I wish I knew more about you and what you like to do in general. There are loads of sites and activities you will have missed, but of course they aren't all for you, or all good to do at any time of the year. I'm looking but I'm missing when you are coming.

But some ideas for that last day in Egypt would be
1- Egyptian Cooking Class
2- Belly Dancing Class
3- A Lazy afternoon on the Nile in Qannater seeing a bit of the real Egypt
4- A decatant afternoon on the Nile on the MS Christina
5- A morning visiting THE Ministry of Agriculture Arabian Horse Ranch

I'm not going to give away all my secret hide a ways, but if there are off the beaten path sites that would interest you, keep searching for something that would set your adventure in Egypt apart from the average.
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:01 AM

I should say, otherwise I think you have the basics covered real well. Well done!
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

CC - my husband would love a cooking class. I have no expectations about Egypt and thus was happy to do anything that was suggested.. and I like all of your suggestions. My husband wants to get out amongst the locals. Thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 04:31 AM

Have you thought about Lake Nasser? Check out this website on travel to Egypt, they've got some good suggestions if you're still adding places: http://www.africa.com/egypt/travel
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:57 PM

If you have a free afternoon in Luxor I suggest you visit the memorial temple of Ramesses III at Medinet Habu on the west bank. This is without doubt one of the best preserved temples in Egypt. You could then combine with a trip to Deir el-Medina (the royal workmen's village and the tomb of Sennedjem) and/or the tombs in the Valley of the Queens. You may be interested in having a look at the new audio guide site: www.iconicguides.com it's packed with audio tours to sites throughout Egypt - at very reasonable prices and which will afford you the flexibility to go where you want, when you want, without being constrained to a group. Just a thought.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM

bgdavies - it seems by your many posts that you have some investment in these iconicguides. They are a good idea, but what makes me sad is that considering they are being sold in UK Pounds through PayPal, I wonder how much, if any, of that money makes it's way back to Egypt? I suppose you could argue that if someone buys one, then they will hopefully come and spend money for tickets, hotels and meals, which is something, but I wish some how, some of the revenue was going back to Egypt. Any comment?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Miss Green,

I love your itinerary.
Where are you staying in Alexandria?? I am trying to decide where to stay.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Dana.. I was booked at the Sheraton, but after reading reviews on tripadvisor I asked for it to be changed. I am at the Helnan Palestine (I think thats the right hotel in the right city). Amanda at Lady Egypt told me someone from her office recently stayed there and I might find that more to my "liking". Possibly a sales pitch from Amanda? Maybe, but I was happy to change.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:29 AM

I got to stay at the Helnan Palestine once. I wanted to live in my room there forever. The hotel is useless as far as ammenities go, but the location is one of my favorites and the rooms were lovely as I recall.

Wake up early one morning and get out to walk around the beaches at Montaza from the hotel. It's wonderful.

However - this hotel is a NIGHTMARE during Ramadan. Do not stay there during Ramadan. On one side of the hotel the rooms face their own party that goes on all night. On the other side (slightly better side) it faces the neighboring hotel that has their party going on ALL night. AAARRRUUUUGGGG!
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Casual,

what is the difference between El-Salamlek Palace Hotel and the Helnan Palestine? I am trying to select a hotel. I like the concept of historic, which the palace would have. As you said, the view at Helnan look lovely. I also am looking at Four Seasons, but that seems so standard.

You said it had no amenities? what would I be missing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -