Search

Tanzania Power Converters?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania Power Converters?

My wife and I are leaving the US in a couple weeks for Tanzania (Kilimanjaro and Northern Circuit Safari), and while I believe we have most of the minor details figured out, I'd like some advice on what type(s) of power adapters/converters to bring in order to avoid shorting out camera batteries and small electronics. I'd welcome any and all recommendations, both general and specific.

While this is my first post, I've been browsing around on this site for the past month and have been very impressed with the friendly and knowledgable people who have contributed in the past.

Thanks for your time and effort.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 07:50 AM

Most electrical devices - camera, battery charger, laptop, etc. - are 110/220V (dual voltage) thus no need for a converter. So check each device and read the small print to determine which are which you might/not need for.

It's often devices as hair blowers/flat irons that might require a converter, but even taking these you'd have to verify with the lodge/camp whether they will allow their use. If you have a device, i.e., hair blower that has a switch where you can change from 110 to 220, better be sure it's properly set while in-country and then again once home. If not, it will simply melt which is not a pretty picture, as I can attest.

The plug adapter for outlets in Kenya/Tanzania would be the 3-flat prong big one as used in the UK, though I have come upon outlets that require the adapter as used in Europe - two round prongs - so travel with both.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM

With something like this you should be all set:

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Power-A...6519182&sr=1-3
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 09:24 AM

Such kits as link above can be found at many shops, but if requiring a 'converter' (to up from 110v to 220v), then that's another piece of equipment... small, but another piece.

I have my original kit with all the pieces for 20+/yrs. Sure worth the initial investment of about $20.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM

My kit's probably that old too, but with the set and a Type M adapter, primarily for South Africa and purchased separately because it is normally not included in any kits I've seen, I'm good to just about anywhere---and with today's world who knows where one might be diverted.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 01:29 PM

sdb2 - My kit is from Franzus with all pieces and back then was costly @ $35, so was lucky to find it on sale @ $20. And like you, take entire kit as one never knows where you'll need which piece.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. I picked up a light weight power converter and plug adapter today at REI. Very good tips on where we may or may not be able to use a hair dryer. Given that we're mostly staying in luxury tented camps (Tarangire Treetops, Ngorongoro Sopa, Dunia Serengeti, and Serian Mara) on safari, I'd guess based on your advice that the hair electrics might be better left in storage at the hotel in Arusha.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM

My travel (dual voltage) hairdryer is very small and weighs only a few ounces, so always have and if there's sufficient power to use "I just got lucky!" Whoopie, as I'm a happy camper

So FYI - Tree Tops at Tarangire has sufficient juice for a hair dryer and as I recall, they actually provide one for each tree top tent; also outlets for other electronics. At Sopa, you should have power run off generator, but may only available during specific hours, so good idea you first check with Reception. Doubtful Dunia or Serian will have power, as they run off solar and/or generators, so can be 'iffy.'

Except in Arusha where most hotels actually provide hairdryers, elsewhere you should ask before plugging in anything.