last minute adapter advise!!

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last minute adapter advise!!

I am leaving for Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, and Kenya tomorrow and running into some last minute camera issues. I just bought my first digital camera (I know, not smart to learn just before a trip, but I had no choice). Where can I find information on what type of adapter plugs I need for each country? I bought a set at Target today, but I wanted to double check that I have the correct adapters before I leave. I've tried searching the internet, as well as this site, but can't seem to find any information. Since I am in a huge rush... if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!! There doesn't seem to be any sort of universal labels for these different plugs.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:04 AM
cw

You can check on the Magellan website by country:

http://www.magellans.com/store/util/...al_ID=EW?Args=

Have a wonderful trip.

CW
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Thank you cw for the Magellan web site. It is the best information I have seen yet, but I am still confused. All I need a converter for is to use my battery charger to recharge four AA batteries at a time.

I already have a battery recharger (DigiPower DPS 3000+ 120V AC 60HZ 12W). I assume that this is only 12 Watts. A friend gave me a new Jensen (JEN50) foreign voltage converter (converts 220-240 Volts to US 110-120 Volts AC with maximum AC power up to 50w. Should this work?

Now for the plug adapter. The converter has two round prongs which fit one side of the plug. The other side has one plastic tab prong on the bottom and two metallic prongs above it (round at the tip and then becomes rectangular toward the bottom of the prongs. This is a UK plug, but is it the correct one for Kenya?.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Travelersusan,

If you will send me your e-mail address, I will send you a picture of the adapters you need for Rawanda, Uganda & Tanzania. I just can't get them to post on Fodor's
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM
cw

The battery charger I used in South Africa is good for 100-240 VAC so I only had to use an adapter not a converter.

Maybe you should just buy a new battery charger that is dual voltage, and you may be able to buy the proper adapter at the airport or the camps may have some extras.

CW
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM

The foreign voltage converter is backwards and would be used for someone coming from, say, South Africa or Europe, to the US (220/240 to 110). You need one that converts the other way: 110 to 220/240. One of our Tanzania travelers had a 220/240 to 110 that she had bought in SA, tried to use it with her battery recharger and it blew up (well, it popped and a puff of smoke arose.)
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM

I saw an international battery charger at Walmart today for $16.84. The brand wasn't one I'm familiar with: Digital, Inc, I believe. It said it charged the batteries in two hours. It came with am adapter for use in a car.

I tried the Duracell 15 minute charger stateside and I think it wasted my batteries because the batteries didn't have much of a charge afterwards.

I've moved on to a Sony international charger that takes about 4 hours to charge the batteries. A professional photographer said he like this brand the best. It turns itself off when the batteries are charged.

Enjoy your trip. Pick up an 8 pack of regular lithium, not lithium ion, batteries as a backup. My family keeps on wondering why there are so many batteries in the refrigerator. It's because all these chargers come with 4 batteries and I bought regular backup batteries. Christmas is coming and we'll have lots of batteries for toys and games on hand.