Search

Most Luxurious Nile Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most Luxurious Nile Cruise

We will be traveling to Egypt in November. What would you say is the most luxurious Nile cruise?
Thanks.
Firenz
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM
MHG

We just completed a 7-day trip on the Oberoi Zahara which was lunched in October http://www.oberoizahra.com/ None of the boats that we saw, including the A&K ships, could compare. The ship itself is quite large yet only has 27 rooms and suites providing tons of public spaces and lounges. Both service and food exceeded expectations. Excursion are in groups of 2-6 lead by your own Egyptologist and driver in new Mercedes vans. Our group of four had our own van the entire trip. Rates are considerable but since you are likely to only visit Egypt once, we felt it was certainly worth the cost.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Wow, the roomms on the Zahara look incredible -- I have stayed in a lot of 5-star hotels that are not as nice. Bear in mind, they quote in Euros, so, if you are used to dollars, as I am, there may be sticker shock. But, I'm sure its a helluva way to see the Nile.

Michael
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Sticker shock for sure, but those are Rack Rates. I'm sure an outfitter in Egypt or elsewhere can provide a somewhat more favorable price.

Also, the rates shown are for the 7/day cruise, which they don't detail - stops, sights, etc. Most visitors only do 3/day or 4/day cruises, where I'm sure the price will be more reasonable.

I notice they don't have scheduled cruises during Oct & Nov. Surprising, as these are ideal months to visit Egypt.

Still, always nice to have another lux option on the Nile.

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on Oberoi cruises. Yep..they are very expensive and seem to be 7 days and to have no availability. What would be the next level down in terms of luxury?
Thanks.
Firenz
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Well, there's the Oberoi Philae, which I'm sure has more competitive rates and also for shorter 3/nt or 4/nt cruises. You will probably get better rates thru an in-country tour operator than the rack rates often quoted direct from Oberoi.

Note though, there are many new boats that have come online for Nile cruises; sure there are other lux choices. Again, check with an in-country tour operator.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions for a reputable in country agent to book the Nile Cruise?

Thanks, again.