Mobile Tented Camps in Serengeti

Dec 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Mobile Tented Camps in Serengeti

Hi All,

Has anyone stayed at either the Exclusive Mobile Camp or Sayari Camp in the Serengeti? If so, can you please provide feedback. I understand EMC will be in the Central Serengeti in June and Sayari will be in the North. Which do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Dec 5th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Dear Chloe
Not stayed at either, but work with Asilia who so far (new to us as a marketing/management conglomeration of camps) appear to be a pretty good outfit.
You're probably better off in the North at any time to avoid the crowds of the central Serengeti since this is where the biggest concentration of (big) lodges are. In June you may find the wildebeest migration heading through the North as they head for the Masai Mara. Second guessing animals is not an exact science but most years they'll cross the Mara from about mid-July so the chances are in June they'll be in the Western corridor or further north.
Good luck, Richard
Dec 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM
sandi

Chloe -

Your best bet is one of Eben's threads (or his website) or responses on other threads. So do a search for "eben" (or find one of his responses to any thread, click on his name and joila) you should have probably the best information... as best can be when it comes to animals.

In June the wildies won't be anywhere near the northern Serengeti (sorry Richard)... last year during June - beginning the wildies were in Central while the zebra were still in the south. Not till mid-month did they meet up and start heading to the western corridor. They had a ways to go before getting to the north for the crossing into the Mara.

Eben's threads also go into details about the major herds and resident herds (there are some of these who never migrate), so many websites that track the migration are iffy.

Granted, it is generally busier in the central Serengeti, but EMC is way off by it's own, so only on game drives might you run into other vehicles. With the exception of a stop at Seronera for lunch at the open-air museum, did we came across one other vehicle and that was of friends. Except when leaving Kirawira, did we even see vehicles from this camp.

bat - you're good at locating threads. can you find the recent one from Eben for Chloe? Thanks so much!

Dec 5th, 2005, 11:25 AM
bat

sandi:
Too wierd. I was looking for it when you posted.

Here is the reent thread Chloe

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...different+kind

Also go to eben's website: www.go-safari.com to TZ and the serengeti and you will be able to look at pictures for the seasonal camps and permanent camps/lodges. It is a terrific resource.
Dec 5th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I certainly agree with Richard that Sayari is a first-class setup.

Assuming you are interested in the Migration and the croccodiles, etc around the Grumeti River, the triangle of Sopa, Kirawira and Mbuze Mawe should be your first choice.

EMC is there (near Sopa) and Olakira (at one of the Turner campsites). Both these areas are some distance away from the busy central Seronera but not quite in the corridor near the Grumeti River. It takes an hour or less to drive from Seronera to the western game areas of the corridor.

At least one of the Nomad camps may be in the Western Corridor itself (Musabi or nearby).

Sayari is way north and the area around the Mara always has resident wildlife. It is a good option if you want to get away from the Seronera area but the first part of June may be just too early to see large migrating herds croosing the Mara.

I've stayed at Sayari and Nomad and visited EMC before and not too stay. I will stay there for the first time in 3 weeks!) Olakira is brand new and I will visit the camp during my stay at EMC. These are all great camps but location and availability should be your deciding factor.

I think you saw my pictures from an earlier post - http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/s...easoncamps.htm

Do you have specific questions about these camps?
Dec 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM
bat

Chloe:
That above thread has Eben's report on the seasonal camps. The below thread has his analysis of where to be--hedge your bets with seveeral different locations--for a June trip. [his comments are about 2/3 down.]

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34715232
Dec 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM
sandi

eben - Sorry, I forgo that you were out there, somewhere. Thanks for piping in.

bat - You came through again. Knew just the thread. Thanks.

Dec 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your help, you are all great! I think we will stick with EMC for a few nights, then head west to Mbalageti for a night. We are currently waitlisted for a night at Kirawira as well.

The most important things here are location for the migration, good sleeping conditions, food and a decent bathroom.
Dec 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Eben,

Be sure to report back about EMC after your trip!
Dec 5th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Chloe,

So the original itinerary looked like this:

Arusha (one night) - cannot decide between the Serena Mountain Village or the Rivertrees Inn.
Lake Manyara (two nights) - Serena
Crater (two nights) - Crater Lodge
Serengeti (three nights) - would love to find a great mobile camp or open to suggestions.
Selous (two nights) - Sand Rivers, is it worth the trip South in mid-June?
Zanzibar (four nights)- Matemwe Bungalows
Stone Town (one night)- Emerson's and Green

You were considering cutting a night at Lake Manyara and adding to the Serengeti, which I think is an excellent idea, by the way. What else is changing, or is this basically what you're going with?

If you're interested, I think there are more honeymoon-friendly accommodations at Lake Manyara than the Serena, although of course budget and availability will play a big part in this.

And regardless, you two will have a fantastic time. EMC willl be great, and very different from your other accommodations. Who knows, it may end up being your favorite.
Dec 5th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Leely,

A few things have changed on our itinerary, but not much. We are currently looking at other places to stay in Zanzibar, since I understand it may be very uncomfortable at the Bungalows without AC. We are looking at Ras Nungwi instead and waiting to hear re: availability.

We are still considering only doing one night in Manyara, but I want to make sure everything else is available before I begin to move things around - still waiting on final confimation. What other places do you recommend staying in Lake Manyara?

Also, still worried it's not the best time in Selous and it's pretty expensive to get there and stay, if it's not the ideal time. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dec 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM

The really expensive place in Manyara is the Tree Lodge--obviously I have no firsthand experience!

You can check it and other accoms. out on http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/lodges/manyara.html

Also, Eben has more listings, some with photos and rack rates, on his go-safari.com.

Some people do stay at one of the various coffee plantations nearby, but I'm not sure if that would make sense for your itinerary. I think the Serena would be absolutely fine, especially as your first stop. However, some people like to go over the top at each stop for their honeymoon, so if that's the case, well then the Serena isn't quite over the top.

And I dearly hope you two can squeeze Selous in. I would so looove to go there.
Dec 6th, 2005, 05:39 AM
sandi

Chloe -

Tree Lodge at Manyara is good for a 2-nt stay, not for 1-nt. Besides being expensive and whether it's available, Tree Lodge is located at the far end of Lake Manyara Park, easily a 2-1/2 hr drive without game viewing along the way. And, of course 2-1/2 hours from when you head to Crater Lodge.

So you see where for 2-nts Tree Lodge is ok, but if 1-nt at Lk. Manyara, the Serena is fine. The view is also great from the Serena as it is on a hill... you can see right into the Park.

Dec 6th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Ack, yes, listen to Sandi--I get easily confused.

Your itinerary seems wonderful, although if there is availability for one extra night in the Serengeti, do cut a night at Manyara. It is a lovely park, with lush areas fairly different from the other Northern Circuit parks, but it's pretty small.

We will be missing you by a few weeks. A friend and I decided we liked Tanzania so much that we're returning with her mother. I *almost* talked my mom into it.
Dec 6th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we did look into staying at the Lake Manyara Tree Lodge, but the overall cost of our trip is high enough and we'd rather stay at nice places at the Crater, go to Selous, etc. Our itinerary is almost finalized, so we are very excited. I will see about staying an extra night in the Serengeti instead of LM.

Also, we are booked at Ras Nungwi instead of Matamwe Bungalows since we want A/C...this is a nice place for a honeymoon, right?

Thanks again for all your help!
Dec 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM
sandi

Chloe -

Did you check the Ras Nungwi website? Link below:

http://www.rasnungwi.com/main.php

I think it's quite lovely. Believe there may some earlier trip reports with stays here. See if you can find in a search.

Search this Thread