Search

Mama Africa or Africa cafe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mama Africa or Africa cafe?

We would like to have an african eating experience. Any suggestions? What is the difference between Mama Africa and Africa Cafe? Which do you recommend? or is there another place?
Thanks so much
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM
santharamhari

Been to both....both very good.

I think Africa cafe has a live band etc etc., cant remember Mama Africa as it has been a LONG time....

Hari

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Patrissimo,

Firstly Mama Africa and the Africa Cafe have their own unique style of doing things and there are no other establishments that offer anything similar in Cape Town.

The Africa Cafe is a wonderful eating experience in a fabulously African style decorated building. The recipes used are such that the food is easy on the western palate yet all the tastes are very unique and wonderful. The menu is a set menu. The entertainemnet is minimilastic yet good in that the staff entertain you and I would not like to tell you how as a surprise in this regard could be nice for you. An evening at the Africa Cafe is always a great one for visitors to my city.

Mama Africa realy swings. There is a always a live band and most of the people in the restaurant simply sit around the bar listening to the band and dancing the night away on the small dancefloor. The bar and band area can become quite crowded at times. The restaurant is in an adjoining room and I feel that when one sits in the restaurant one does not really enjoy the vibe of what is happening next door and make no error the vibe is good and very African. The food at Mama Africa is very African and sometimes can be tricky for the non adventurous type of eater. On a personal level I much prefer the food at the Africa Cafe.

The Africa Cafe is a venue that you can frequent from 19h00 onwards however to really enjoy Mama Africa you should only arrive at 21h00.

It is very important to know that the two restaurants are about 1000 yards apart from each other, representing a 5 minute taxi ride (I would not suggest walking the road between the 2 restaurants at night for safety reasons. With that said the trick to be able to enjoy all is to go to the Africa Cafe for dinner at 19h30 and to leave the Cafe at about 21h30. After leaving the Africa Cafe take a taxi down to Mama Africa and simply go sit at the bar counter. You can then dance the night away to a great band in African style where African style means that you will definitely be enjoyably tired when you arrive at your place of stay from all the activity you have been through in this wonderfully, vibey restaurant.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy our great city when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 06:03 AM
santharamhari

Ok....i mixed them both up. Thanks, Selwyn. It's Mama Africa with the happening band. Fabulous location....

Hari

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:35 AM

We really enjoyed Mama Africa. Food was great, & fun atmosphere!