Search

Malarone-withdrawn

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malarone-withdrawn

Just went to pick it up after being prescribed last week to find out that it has been withdrawn. They say the only alternative is larium which I have taken before and wasn't too pleasant.,
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Wow. Is that for the U.S.. That is news---Walgreens said mine would be ready Monday. Maybe not now. Does anyone know why it has been withdrawn? We will do Doxy rather than Larium...........
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Malarone manufacturer glaxoklinesmith has nothing on its website about withdrawing Malarone and neither does FDA.gov. Hmmm. Walgreens just told me it has not been withdrawn in the U.S.. I would check with your pharmacist again. A lot of pharmacies do not stock Malarone. I was surprised to find out that it is covered by Blue Cross insurance.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Do you have more information? When did this happen? My sister just picked up Malarone 2 weeks ago. I tried a web search but couldn't find any news. I just sent GlaxoSmithKline an email asking for clarification.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Patty--I would think it would be national news for Malarone to be withdrawn. Let us know what gsk.com sends you back. Costco says the same thing when I called them--MALARONE IS NOT WITHDRAWN and they would have received the news if it has been. I will be interested in finding out more details from the original poster.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Well I dropped off the prescription on Thursday at RiteAid. They notified me that they would have to order it. Went this afternoon to pick it up and they told me that it had been withdrawn and that I would have to do larium. I have also checked on the web and there is nothing about this. So I will check with the physician who prescribed it to me when he is in the office on Monday.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Keep us posted. I am picking up my Malarone tomorrow morning at Costco since Walgreens can't get theirs until Monday. Of course, I won't want to use it if it has indeed been withdrawn.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I received an email reply this morning asking me to call their GSK's customer response center, where I verified that Malarone has NOT been withdrawn from the US market.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Could it be that RiteAid have withdrawn it from sale because they have lost/ cancelled the deal with their supplier?
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

This is good news. Thanks for forwarding
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:59 AM

It may also have to do with a particular store/insurance company/etc withdrawing it from their list of "approved" medications because they weren't getting a good enough deal. We've had that happend with a number of medications like Allegra and such (although we can usually still get them if we are willing to pay a higher co-pay). I just picked ours up last week with no problem. Walgreens had it in stock and filled it within hours. My understanding is that larium has some pretty significant side effects for some people and it was NOT recommended by our doctors. Hopefully you can find a source of it.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:49 AM

U.S. residents may be interested in this $20 rebate for Malarone (ends June 30, 2005...and you're only eligible if you pay for it yourself rather than being covered for it by insurance... and your prescription must be for at least 23 pills...see the lengthy fine print).

http://www.travelsafely.com/rebate/p...ate.html?rfid=
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 11:20 AM

This thread is quite a mystery to me. I have good access to U.S. pharmacy info and nowhere have I heard about any recall or even any shortage of Malarone.

There are two points brought up here which should be addressed: 1) Was it a 3rd party insurance carrier that declined paying for the Malarone? 2) Was it just a shortage at Rite-Aid's warehouse?

While chains like Rite-Aid may have contracts for generic manufacturers, I usually don't hear about contracts with brand name companies. Malone remains brand name only here. Those brand name contracts are usually through the insurance company.

And yes, while it is very inconvenient to the consumer, many pharmacies tend not to stock Malarone. At $5-$10 dollars a tablet, the store is looking at a huge loss when those meds expire on the shelf. While we talk about it frequently on this forum, you would be amazed at how infrequently those prescriptions move through your average pharmacy (compared to other meds).
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I picked up our Malarone at Costco. Who named it anyway. It sounds like it will give you malaria.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Just re-submitted my prescription someplace else. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM

I have worked for a large retail pharmacy chain for over 15 years and there has not been a recall on Malarone as of 4:30pm today. I has been my experience that some insurance carriers do not cover the medication or only cover a 4 week supply at a time, which means that the prescription must be refilled upon return from the endemic area to continue the therapy or by paying cash for the balance. I am not surprised that the customer did not understand what he/she was being told--most of them don't have a clue about their coverage.