malaria prevention and 2yr old

Hi, wantin got go to Kruger for a week. july

1: DO WE NEED TO TAKE THE TABLETS??
2:How bad is malaria/ effects for 2yr old
3:Are the tablets safe for kids?

Thank you
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malaria kills millions yearly worldwide, most of which are children. A nasty disease.

Check: www.cdc.gov/travel

The UK, Canada and Australia also have good sites for this info. A "google" search for "malaria meds for children" will pull up info; a search on this board will pull up threads on the topic.

Select South Africa, read all the info re meds and inocs for travel here. Print copy as referral when you schedule appointment with your personal physician and child's pediatrician to discuss in detail.

You can also visit a travel clinic,, specializing in tropical diseases, though their costs for inocs can be higher than your own physician.

There is a children's dosage of Malarone, the newest malaria med, but based on child's weight. Again, read the info and discuss, discuss.

You might want to consider game parks in SA that are "malaria-free" such as Madikwe.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Especially when trying to figure out the best thing for your child, I'd recommend consulting a travel doctor, who will be able to explain all the pros and cons. As Sandi mentioned, you can get good background information online that can help you ask intelligent questions, but you want to get professional advice to make your decision.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

thank you for this.
we are in th UAE at the moment and the medical care is like flipping a coin.
what do people do that live in the areas? do they all take the tablets for their whole lives, sorry if that is a dumb question.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 02:37 PM

No, local people living outside major cities (Johannesburg, Capetown, Durban, etc. being malaria free) do not take malaria meds daily. The current meds are not good for long-term use. These folks protect themselves, from dusk/dawn when malaria mossies bite, by overing-up with long pants, sleeves, socks and apply repellent on exposed skin. Most locals do come down with malaria, at least once, if not more often and know the signs and get themselves treated.

But that's locals who have to deal with the hand dealt them. Visitors have to and can, for the short term, approach the situation differently.

Can't comment about care in the UAE, but I'm sure there are many who live there who visit various African countries. Maybe check with the American or British Embassies for referral to a travel clinic/physician. Ask around thru friends and business associates.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM

I'd consult the child's pediatrician and a travel clinic.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Explaining the "pros and cons".
The "pros" - your having a good time in Kruger. For a week.
The "cons" - the possible death of your child. Forever.

regards - tom
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

ahhhh thank you Tom

We were just wondering, and you have made the decision very clear. thank you
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 05:19 AM

If your child weighs more than 10kgs he/she can take malaria medication. I would recommend it as you never know whether it is cerbral malaria or not. You must start the medication 2 weeks before you go into malaria area and continue for a month afterwards. If you go out the malaria area, any sign of flu must alert you and must you go for a blood test to verify you don't have it.

Early morning, and late afternoon, dusk and dawn, are the crittical times, make sure you have light long sleeved clothing on, and use citronella cream, sprays and armbands. Be careful of chemical things to burn for mosquitoes, more children die of that than malaria itself, it is a big no -no for young kids. Bugg-off and citrocream are good products, and can be bought at pharmacies.

Malaria is bad in summer months and not in winter months. If I go with my kids to a malaria area, I go in winter, then it is safer.

I live close to the Kruger, 20 minutes drive, and I would only worry about Malaria way up north... I go camping with my baby now, but I do take precautions. Remember that all the places (homes and lodges) in high malaria areas in south africa is sprayed with DDT twice a year. That helps a lot
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 07:08 AM

Just check if deet is safe to use on kids.... many mosquito repellents have that in.

South Africa has GOOD medical treatment, and most of South Africa is malaria free! It snowed on the Drakensburg mountainjs l;ast night, so it is already cold where I live, close to Kruger, Mozambique and Swaziland.

When are you planning your trip?

For those who don't know, South Africa is quite civilized... and the lions don't run around in my garden, as many think