Mala Mala and Ngala Tented Camp

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from AMAZING 2 week trip to Mala Mala and Ngala Tented Camp. Both places were amazing. Booked everything through CC Africa....life changing trip.

please take a look at photos: Take a look at Chetah Kill and other Africa photos....at

www.jeffreyobrien.com
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM

Great photo's Jeff, my husband and I who live in Australia are currently looking at booking a trip to Africa, seeing such great photo's make us all the more keen.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM

Wow!
What photos! Can't wait to get to Mala Mala. Wish we had time for Ngala. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Nice pics, you had a good ranger in Bens. And great shots of the cheetah kill.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 01:28 PM

THANK YOU for the nice comments. Bens was a GREAT ranger.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Jeff,

Nice pictures and loved the cheetah pictures!!!

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Wow! what great photos I loved the ones of the leopard, birds, chameleion and lion roaring at night. then the cheetah hunt! Wowee! What zoom lens etc. are you using? I just got back from 3 1/2 weeks in Kenya and Rwanda but have not seen any of my photos yet (used a Canono 30D w/70 - 200 IS with a 1.4x mostly and wondered what it would be like to have a bit more reach...) and am already planning 2008...in my head. I too believe that htis life in no dress rehearsal so all I c an do is go for it! thanks ever so much for photos and feeedback. I am going to go to Mala Mal next year if at all possible!
rhoda
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi 13 moons,
Thanks for the nice comments regarding the photos. I shoot interchanging a 5d and new 40d body with a 100-400 mm zoom. After numerous trials, tons of research, I have found that the new-"er" Canon 100-400 zoom is the ultimate safari lens. The 400 and 500 mm fixed telephoto are much quicker and terribly more expensive, but the versatility of the 1-400mm zoom is worth every penny and cheaper than the most expensive fixed telephotos. If I had the luxury to stop, get out, set up tripod, shoot wildlife, get back on car and off I went the 500 would have been the best bet. I found the need to use only 200-300mm range often and was happy for the zoom capability. I did just get all my equipment back from Canon after a cleaning. After 4000+ shots, hundreds of miles of dusty roads, I had cameras and lenses that were useless and full of dust by the end of the trip. Any person going on winter dry safari I can only tell you that 2 bodies and multiple lenses are imperative. Close to the end I have some fantastic roaring lion photos that are great except for the dust storm on the sensor flying arounbd the image. Just pick up a 10.1 mg xti as a back up, a cheap insurance policy. I do not shoot with a 1.4 or 2.0 x tc as the light can be tricky. Instead, research a better ranger to get you closer to wildlife. No need for a converter if you are close enough. The digital 1.6x magnifier with the 400mm was really enough except for extreme situations. Good luck. Drop me an off fodors e-mail, I 'll give you some important Mala Mala tips. Happy to help.
Peace
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Amazing is right. The outing with the 4 cheetahs was outstanding in such beautiful light. Your photos with people viewing wildlife give a nice perspective. You got a much better photo of the warthog statue than I did. So many great shots. The lions were particularly cooperative from the little cubs to the one drinking to that unique shot of the lion roaring at night.

"Life changing" is actually the competitor Wilderness's motto. "Our journeys change people's lives." But I bet you would agree that CCAfrica certainly managed to "reawaken your soul," as they claim in their motto. Those catch phrases really come true and you are proof.

Your comment on the website, "It's later than you think," is one of my favorites. Don't know who is officially credited with that slice of wisdom, but I heard it from the great thinker, philosopher, and Mayor of Rush Street, Harry Caray.

Welcome home and thanks for the photos.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Lynn,
I got out and posed the lion cubs, no just kidding, but you are correct, the one whos face is so prolific and cooperative kept inching closer to the rover as I snapped away won me a most recent award on photo contest Nationally. Thank you little cub!
CC Africa, ditto, they were great and if anyone is going to S. Africa from the states, please contact me as our representative Sheena Knox was beyond first class, really worth a mention here.
Most important: "It is later than you think" may have been coined by Harry, but the wisest woman in the world told me first, my grandma.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM

We'll give the credit to your grandma!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Hi Jeff, Enjoyed your photos, and especially the words of introduction. My curiosity was picqued by your comment that you used a Canon 40d. When did you get it? I They were only first available on Sept. 1 and only in selected stores. I know, because I got #2 locally on Sept 1. I'm loving it BTW.

Jim

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Jim,

You are correct. I only had 5d's there. I am so excited to have my new 40d it seems I have had it forever. I really like the 6.5 fps feature. Wish I had it there...