Lenses for South African Safari?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this safari question comes up a lot, but most of the posts I've found are in regards to East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania.) The conditions are somewhat different I think in South Africa (better roads, less dust, and in private reserves you can go off-road.) There will also be some walking. We'll be doing a birding and wildlife trip with time in Kruger and also private reserves, as well as some birding outside of the game parks.

I will take two bodies (Nikon D300/D200) so as not to have to change lenses in the vehicle. I will have a tripod for the times not in the game parks, and for shooting within the camps. And of course a bean bag for the vehicle.

My 200-400vr along with 1.4 TC is a given.

But, the quandry, what lens(es) to pair it with? I have a 12-24 F4, 17-55 F2.8, and 24-70 F2.8. I have visions of elephants crossing the road. Will I need a wide angle? I am tempted to take the 17-55 as it is lighter, and a bit wider, than the 24-70 but there's an awfully big gap between 55 and the 200. I just came back from the Galapagos and took the 200-400VR and the 24-70 and often wished I had something to fill that gap from 70-200.

Another thought is to pick up a used 70-200VR (or rent one). If I took that with the 24-70 I'm pretty well covered. But that's an awfully heavy combo.

Another thought is to use the 18-200vr which indeed covers everything, but I'm not sure of the quality of this lens vs. the pro lenses like the 24-70vr. Would want to have the best glass for Africa!

suggestions from anyone who's safaried in S. Africa (especially Kruger, and especially Nikon shooters, as the lens options are different) appreciated!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM

Hi Janet - I went to your web site - http://www.janetzinnphotography.com/ Super photos, are you a pro? A very serious amateur?

We've been to South Africa several times and going back this Sept again to Kruger, Kings Camp and Kirkmans Kamp. 35 days and counting.

VERY nice Nikon kit you have. I also use Nikon but don't have all of your lenses mainly because it is a bit much to travel with. I use the D200 with 70-300 and a D40x with 18-200. A few of my safari photos at - http://www.tomgraham.smugmug.com/

The typical South Africa safari vehicle is a totally open Range Rover. That is, not an open top van, so using a bean bag can be tricky, little support for it. You might like a mono-pod better. The 18-200 is a good lens, depends on how you are going to use the images. If not it to cover the wide to semi-telephoto seems like you are stuck with three lenses. Another reason I like the 18-200 is that should the 70-300 fail at least I have some telephoto to use. Maybe Andy Biggs will chime in on this.

A question for you that pops up here on occasion. What/how do you back-up your photos?

regards - tom
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom for the compliments...I'm just a serious amateur (I sell some stuff but not in any organized way--only on request.) Not enough to pay for this hobby!!

I took a quickish look at your site as well and you have great stuff! You sure go to South Africa a lot! I will look through all of it later. You are definitely doing well with that 18-200 and now I am seriously thinking that may be my best option. I have one, well technically its my spouse's, but I could steal it back. He'd probably be using the 80-400VR for this trip. I also have the 70-300VR but for whatever reason I've never liked the results I've gotten with that lens on wildlife.

I would love to avoid three lenses, especially three heavy lenses. But the advantage of the 17-55 or the 24-70 is that they are fast, great in low light, and super super sharp. Dilemma!

Beanbag---I know its not feasible in the Land Rover which we'll have at the private reserves (we'll be at Elephant Plains and Nkorho.) But, in Kruger I'll need it--we'll be in a van with opening windows, as open vehicles are not allowed.

Backup--currently I bring a light, small laptop, plus a portable 250 GB hard drive, plus DVD's to burn. So I backup in triplicate and keep each seperately. I may replace the laptop with a netbook for this trip, but then I have to buy a seperate DVD burner. Probably ends up being the same weight, but maybe easier to carry. I shoot RAW only--on this Galapagos 9 day trip I shot about 60GBs, I expect Africa I will shoot even more!

I also have a Hyperdrive Space which I throw in just in case the laptop dies. But so far I've not had to use it.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

For 18-200 lens photos, look at my Safari 2006 ones. I had just gotten the D200 with the 18-200. (Along with Canon S2/S3 I still use for video). Got the 70-300 next year, 2007 and since.

regards - tom
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM

jczinn, I'm a Canon guy but don't hold that against me. I usually schlep along 2 bodies, a 70-200 IS, a 100-400 IS, a 1.4 TC and a shorter lens as well (but I shoot only a small percentage of shots with this). So I like your idea of picking up a used 70-200VR (or renting one). I agree that with the 24-70 you'll be well covered. I agree too that it gets heavy, but what the heck...

I wouldn't say it's not feasible to use a bean bag in a safari vehicle. Admittedly, attaining a good spot to support the bag sometimes requires you to assume the shape of a pretzel (the bad part is uncoiling!) but it can be a shot-saver. If your driver is on the ball (I've been lucky enough to have several) he/she will position the car so you can use the side railing as a support. So I suggest that you do bring the bag along on game drives at the private camps. See the link below for a shot I wouldn't have gotten without a bean bag (very heavy dusk, 100-400 IS, F/5, 1/50, ISO-800): http://thesafariadvisor.com/linked/img_4382.jpg

Have fun, Steve
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

wow Steve, awesome shot! I'd be happy with one like that Interesting too to see that it was shot at 190mm. My 200-400 would have been too long in that instance.

Arrgh its a tough decision. I may keep changing my mind until the day before we leave However, I guess I'd have to decide about the 70-200VR. I really can't afford to buy it right now, rental might be the way to go.

Thanks for the bean bag tip too.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks, Janet. You're better than I am decision-wise; I'm still changing my mind even after I've left!

Just in case you don't have a regular rental place and are looking for one, I used LensProToGo to try out the 100-400 before I bought it. They had good prices and gave excellent service (lens packed securely, return shipping included, lens in great shape). www.lensprotogo.com
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Beautiful shot, sdb2!

Last year in Sabi Sands and Mashatu I used the 500 f/4 and the 100-400. I don't remember wishing I had the 70-200 f/2.8. Before I had the 100-400 I took the 500 and the 70-200 plus TC's. And I always take a 16-35. I don't use it much but when I do I'm glad I have it.

When I take trips with other photographers they usually have the 24-70 (and use it some). I don't have that lens and don't think I would use it much. I am considering the 24-105 because I don't have a walking around lens. But I'm afraid it's too heavy to walk around with .

If I were you I would probably get the 70-200 (rent, borrow or steal one). Safaris aren't cheap and as a photographer your camera gear should come first in the budget. I think you'll use that lens a lot. It's also good for animalscapes/ environmental shots.

Cindy
www.pbase.com/cjw
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Speaking of tripods and bean bags, there's a new toy. It's a beanbag that comes with an aluminum plate that can be inserted into a pocket on the beanbag to attach a tripod head. I've seen it in person and it's really cool. Here are pictures http://www.essentialphotogear.com/pr...od=ApexBeanBag It can be used with or without the plate. Needless to say it was designed by a photographer.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:17 PM

Thanks, Cindy! Your link to the Apex Bean Bag was interesting, especially because I'll soon to heading to Etosha and I've been wondering what kinds of aids I might need beyond a simple bean bag for shooting from a car.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM

This is where you need to switch to Canon...j/k. I do have a 70-200 f/4 and plan to use it along with my 300 2.8 with 2x tele and 400 f/5.6. I will be taking 3 bodies. 1 will have the 300 with 2x tele mounted permanantly for that 600 5.6 range (in case I see a leopard or something). Another will have the 70-200...the third will have the 400 f/5.6 OR a 17-85 depending on the situation/scape.

What areas of Serengeti can one drive offroad ? Can anyone answe that? Thx !
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM

I too am a Canon person and I brought both Canon 400 DO with a 1.4 extender and a 100-400 however I had two bodies. With only one body, you often do not have a lot of time to change lenses so you need the most flexible lens choice you can as your main lens. I think on only one occasion on my last trip did I find a need for a wide angle lens (I had a 3rd camera body for that). As for bean bags, while they are useful, I have found them to be impractical. The animals may be in front, to the side or even behind you. I would practice steady hand holding skills! For my latest trip, you can look at where you can see which lenses I used the most:

http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/lion_sands_2009

http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/thornybush_2009

http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/djuma_2009

Mike
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I am more confused than ever, lol. I think I need to get my hands on a 70-200VR and see just how heavy it is and whether I can handle it on one body with the 200-400VR on another. I am also not sure how I'd pack all that (plus flash and accessories) in my carry-on bag, which is a Lowepro Computrekker. It just about fits my 200-400VR, two bodies, and two additional lenses but not one as large as the 70-200vr.

KennyK, how in the world do you travel/fly with three bodies and all those lenses?
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM

"KennyK, how in the world do you travel/fly with three bodies and all those lenses?"
Yeah you all, how do you manage all that PLUS spare batteries, chargers, AC adapters and cords, laptop, hard drive backups, CD burners, not to mention sensor and lens cleaning supplies and extra memory cards. My support kit is just about as large and heavy as the camera bodies and lenses and mine is on the small side comparatively!!!

regards - tom
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 06:41 AM

It's time for me to give back..I've learned so much here already...thx to you all !

Here's the lowdown:

1. Please invest in a ThinkTank Airport Antidote (cheapest $190) or another model...it's extremely light,heavily padded, built like a tank (all pros use Thinktank...well most I know), it is 3-4 lb in weight. Protect your costly investment.
One time, we met 2 pros going to Asia at the SFO airport, and 4 of us sitting there had the * same carry-on bag*, was quite a sight.

Anyway, the thintank fits all international carry-on restrictions in terms of size. Of course, weight depends on the carrier....when I fly Singapore Air, I do have to juggle a few things in 2 bags (my wife carries the other bag) or appears to...I do the lifting .

I routinely carry this (the below) in the ThinkTank. It fits under the seat...or in overhead compartments just fine.
(needs a little bit of seperator adjustment/removal, try to be creative here)

1. 300 2.8 IS(hood reversed- hoodie ON)
2. 1 series body (8inch depth of the bag allows it to fit easily)
3. xxD body
4. 70-200 f/4
5. 2x tele,1.4x tele
6. Epson Portable viewer
7. 1 wide angle lens
8. Spare 1 series battery and BP-511 batteries, charger, travel sized charger for 1-series
9. Laptop in the outside sleeve with a neoprene carry case(does not count in the total weight) since it's a personal item
10. Cables,international adapters
11. 2 Empty Beanbags (Kinesis is my favorite)
12. As for backup harddrive, invest in Wester digital Passport drives, I have a 750 gig drive..weighs 2 ounces barely, extremely thin..does not need external chargers..just a usb.
13. CF cards, SD Cards in the inside mesh compartments
14. Canon FS handycam, charger
15. Trashbags or army laundry bags for the dust- very light.
16. Surgical masks for the dust

In my 2nd Carry-on bag, the Canon cheapo but extremely useful DG200:

1. 400 f/5.6
2. xxD body
3. Nikon Binoculors
4. Other minor things...that I forgot to pack in the ThinkTank (cleaning cloth,blower,Q-tips- great for cleaning loose dirt around shutter and lcd)

Hope this helps. The Thinktank stays under 25 Lb with all that stuff (laptop excluded) which fits almost every carry-on weight restriction.

@MytMoss - I think you are well set with those two focal lengths...I didn't invest in the DO (very light), cos of the hefty $ premium over my 400 5.6. . Anyway...

@JCZinn: 70-200 VR on 1 body and 200-400 on the other sounds like a fantastic idea to me. I've asked folks here if one can off-road in Tanzania...if one can, getting close to *some* wildlife won't be an issue with a 400 mm reach. Not sure...no one answered me yet.

PS: For ethical purposes, I never flash wildlife (mammals). Never know how they might react too...
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Forgot: My trick to using a beanbag effectively is to fill it up 3/4th and not completely, then it can twist and bend in any shape height you want. Give the Kinesys SafariSack a try.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 07:07 AM

KennyK, what do you use for sensor cleaning?
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Ok, two carry-on, that helps. Sometimes I have to make do with only one (no slave wife for the trip).

Wheels. After carrying various carry-on bags full of camera kit miles through airports, wheels, the word is wheels.

I'll see your kit and raise you - a sensor loupe, sensor and lens cleaning supplies, three different kinds of batteries with chargers. Two small Mini-Maglites, a tool kit consisting of a digital VOM, small screw drivers and needle pliers, alligator clip leads, tape, copper wire, rubber bands.

I do use flash on occasion and the mammals don't seem to notice at all. Wonder if they even see it?

regards - tom
33 days and counting
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM

sbd2, I rarely remove a lens from my camera in the field...and even if I do it, I do it in my trash bag....that pricey vacuum chamber .

That and I shoot at shallow DoF....sensor dust is yet to bother me.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 08:41 AM

sdb2, I didn't read your question properly...for sensor dust, I usually use the "Giottos rocket blower"...nothing much. But, like I said, in the field..as long as I don't shuffle lenses on bodies....dust is hardly an issue for me.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...er-Review.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -