Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Last Minute Question!! Please help with Tanzanian Safari!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have been planning the trip of a lifetime for the last six months, but things still (at this late date) are not in order. We have been dealing with Predators Safari Club, with Nabeela as our contact. All lodges are confirmed, but we have just recently found out that Kirawira is full and we have to find another place. The best tented camps are all full, and the others was off the Migration path. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If all else fails, we'll be staying at Serengeti Serena for the last three nights

June 25 - Tarangire Sopa - 2 nights

June 27 - Ngorongoro Sopa - 2 nights

June 29 - Serengeti Serena - 1 night

June 30 - **Thought we had Kirawira** - 2 nights

July 2 - Depart from Seronera airstrip for JRO

Any Suggestions? We would like the luxury tented camp experience. We were told that Mubuzi Mawe was a possibility by Predators Safari Club, but we need to act now. Haven't read the greatest of reviews of this camp and definitely don't want to end the trip on a bad note. Also would like to get somewhat closer to the migration. Thank you in advance for your help. I absolutely LOVE this forum! Great advice/suggestions!
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:28 AM

I've never been there, but someone else on this forum recommended a place called Mbalageti. I think if you Google them, you can find their website. I assume Grumeti is full?

There is also Ikoma Tented Camp which I believe is somewhat less luxurious but still supposed to be very nice -- they allow game walks and night drives and it is supposed to be particularly good for lions. It is 3km outside of Ikoma gate, just north and west of Seronera area. We are staying there in November.

In southern Serengeti there is Kusini which is supposed to be very nice as well.

Then in the north of course there is Migration and Klein's.

Good luck!
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Those are good suggestions from Lisa. There are also some semi-permanent tented camps. The one I am familiar with is Nomad.

Grumeti would not be ideal when you are visiting.

On 5/25/05 there was a discussion of Mbuze Mawe. I could not get the link to work, but here is the title of that thread.

Mbuzi Mawe Camp, Serengeti

Looks like it has undergone major improvments.

You could also mention to Predators that you have gotten some of your info on Mbuze Mawe or other camps from Fodor's travelboard and that you will keep the travelboard posted on your experience with Predators.

Did your original itinerary show Kirawira? Be sure you ask for a reduction in cost if the new camp is not of the same quality. Have you made all of your payments yet to Predators? Could you contact a different agent and check what availability they can offer?

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out. Predator has gotten some good reviews here so they appear to be credible.
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:31 AM

There's a post toward the bottom of this thread which indicates that Mbuzi Mawe has been completely refurbished -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34578056

You can also find a few pics on the Serena website - http://www.serenahotels.com/tanzania/mbuzi/home.htm

If you can't get into any of the camps mentioned, you could consider changing your accomodations in Tarangire so that you'll at least have one tented camp experience. Good luck!

Lynn,
Why wouldn't Grumeti be a good choice for late June/early July? Wouldn't the migration be in this area (generally)?
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Sorry, I read your dates as July rather than June, thinking it was late July rather than late June that you were going.

So Grumeti would be good. So that leaves another option open.