Kruger park ranger mauled by lion

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kruger park ranger mauled by lion

"... the incident happened at about 8am when the ranger, Rudi Lorist (32), was on a bush walk with eight tourists and assistant trails ranger Phillip Gumede"

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-10-...mauled-by-lion
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Wow. It appears he will be ok from the context of the article, though no condition was stated.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM

I'd just seen this report on the SanParks website too. One of the rangers has commented:

'A female lion with cubs is one of the animals Trailsguides are taught to avoid. This is because it is their natural instinct to attack to defend their young. In practise it is not always possible to avoid them, as in this case.

The animal will not be destroyed merely for doing what comes naturally. She needs to be monitored to see whether she may in fact be injured. If it is found that she is healthy, she will not be destroyed. If she is injured, she will be treated.'
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

tock, sounds like most grizzly bear attacks in the US where the bear feels threatened and mauls the person who is too close and then moves off. We call this a 'defensive-aggressive' attack. For sure a lioness could kill a man in a few seconds if she bit his head or spine, so this one was probably just getting her point across and then moving on.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM

I pray for Rudy's speedy recovery.

These conflicts are so sad, after all we are intruding into "their" space, that said Sanparks has a very good safety record.

Here in Sri Lanka we had a sad incident recently when an elephant mum n calf that had fallen into an agro well was rescued it attacked an killed one of the bystanders and the whole chilling event was captured on camera ...

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Se...px?ARTID=28155

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Glad to know the lioness will not be harmed. Sad about the ele rescue too. I don't want to see the video.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Hi

I cannot see where in SanPark it says that the lioness will not be destroyed! Usually it seems to me, that when an animal attacks, it will be killed so I would like to know that in this case, that is not true.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 11:07 PM

There is a post by a moderator on the Sanparks forums which says....

A female lion with cubs is one of the animals Trailsguides are taught to avoid. This is because it is their natural instinct to attack to defend their young. In practise it is not always possible to avoid them, as in this case.

The animal will not be destroyed merely for doing what comes naturally. She needs to be monitored to see whether she may in fact be injured. If it is found that she is healthy, she will not be destroyed. If she is injured, she will be treated.
Unquote

You could see the forum thread here
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewt...;sk=t&sd=a
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM

Hi Mohammed

I hope that is true and I wonder why it was not included in the article by SanPark as many people would be thinking the same as I did. Not being up on the SanPark forum, who is the person that replied with that answer?

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Sorry I don't know the name of the person, however she is a moderator on the Sanparks forum with screen name "Imberbe"
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 05:44 AM

i HATE these stories!

good the ranger hasn't been seriously wounded!

i have been and will be totally against bush walks!

i know i am criticised for this my opinion.....
but too often is it the animal who pays the price for human intruders into their habitat!

isn't it enough that we drive through their territory, making pictures and appreciate their presence.

a lion which interferes with humans on THEIR land will be killed!

why do we think we are entitled to stumble through theirs?

can we not accept any limitation to our doings?

if someone wants to walk through lion's territory for selfish reasons - fine! give them a club an d let them go............

div

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 05:48 AM

"Here in Sri Lanka we had a sad incident recently when an elephant mum n calf that had fallen into an agro well was rescued it attacked an killed one of the bystanders and the whole chilling event was captured on camera ..."

a rescue operation allows ANY BYSTANDERS????????????

how stupid is that?

of course the eli was terrified of what already happend and went nuts.
of course the eli did not want to KILL that person...

the rescue operation leader should be put in jail and pay a pension to the family for the rest of his life for his stupidity!

div