Kruger in Dec? Bad?

Sep 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Kruger in Dec? Bad?

Hello,
I have the opportunity to go to South Africa in December but I heard that it is a very bad time to go to Kruger to see animals.

It's very hot and the grass is high so you don't see much. Is that true?

Thanks to all,

KSC
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:03 AM

Hi there,
game viewing is always a matter of "being in the right place at the right time" no matter where you are.
Kruger Park is no different in this respect either. Even when the grass is lower it does not guarantee that you will see anything.
If you look at the sightings boards at located every camp you will can also drive yourself crazy as you will no doubt see that someone has just seen Lion, Leopard or Cheetah on the road you have just driven along. Forget it, be happy with what you have seen; that is what makes Kruger different, you are in complete control of the day and how much time you spend looking for those elusive creatures.
My best advise is that you take every opportunity you have to visit a game park like Kruger Park and just be thankful that you will see something. After all the animals are not sitting around waiting for the tourists to drive by. If you do not go you will always be left wondering what did I miss

Maurice
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Hi KSC,

I am a visitor to South Africa in both June/July and December/January. Quite frankly both have their good points and bad points. I really don't mind the heat of December. You cannot stay out as long in an open vehicle as the sun gets so hot, but you see baby impala lambs which you will never seen in the middle of the year. I have just returned from Botswana, and the grass was incredibly tall, god knows what animals I missed! I go to Sabi Sands which runs alongside Kruger, and in July, the days were incredibly warm and it is true that the animals probably do rest during the heat of the day, but you still have plenty of time, with the early morning and later in the afternoon.

To me there is never a bad time to see animals, and if I had the opportunity to go, I would.

Kind regards,
Kaye
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM

I have not been there in December, just August, during the dry season. So, I couldn't tell you if it's better. However, my next trip there will be during the green season--I want to see what Kruger looks like with leaves on the the trees. From the pictures, it looks very beautiful!

I agree with the others--if you have a good opportunity, go! You never know what you might see. Take a look at the photos on the public sightings page at www.sanparks.org. There should be some pictures posted there that were taken at all times of the year.
Sep 5th, 2006, 11:07 AM

We were there in late November last time and it was fantastic. Going in late December this year. Every time of year has its advantages. I'm told the bird populations there are greatest in December-January.