Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:49 AM
abk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kruger - best place in Oct.or Nov.

Could somebody please advise me on the following

Inyati versus Tanda Tula or Sabi Sands

Going mad trying to decide - want best game viewing, reasonable food and comfort but does not have to be 5 star. Our second safari, our 24 year old kids first - and probably only one ever on their salaries!
Want to give them a good experience but be economical too.
Then want to drive on to the Drakensberg
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:50 AM
santharamhari

abk,

Sabi Sands will be fantastic year round. Leopard viewing there, will be unparallel.....plenty of different lodges to choose from, across a whole range of budgets.

There was a recent report from someone who recently visited Tanda Tula for their second visit and was very happy with the viewing and accomodations there.

Inyati, i dont know....maybe someone else can comment.

Hari

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:27 AM

You cannot go wrong in the sabie sands, search the net and you could well find yourself an economical lodge.

Since you are headed for the Drakensburg in (I assume KZN) you would do well to look at Mkuze Falls Game Reserve, its a tremendous game viewing property and you might just find that it reduces your expense by a great deal too.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Hi abk I only saw the thread just now, I am the one who went back to Tanda Tula for the second time as I decribed before it is just great has a very sepcial intimate atmosphere we saw lots (they have very big elephant herds) there less leopard than in the sabi sands but this year we still saw 2 . and all of the big five. I cannot imagine that someone cannot enjoy Tanda Tula and it is really not the most expensive. If you are looking for cats especially ... then perhaps Sabi Sands.
Food in Tanda Tula is VERY nice!

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I highly recommend Sabi Sands for your safari and I can also recommend specifically Elephant Plains as a place to stay. Our rondoval was very comfortable and the service and food were great. We had some fabulous wildlife sightings - a mother cheetah and her two boys, a leopard with it's kill up a tree, and the leopard's 4 week old cubs that she had stashed in the brush about 2 kilometers away from her tree so predators wouldn't be attracted by the dead impala and find her babies. I don't recall exact cost (and it was all part of a package we worked out with go2africa) but I know our travel agent recommended it because it was a bit less costly than the other Sabi Sands lodges. Enjoy!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Hi abk,

You could also try Idube in Sabi Sands. This is a family owned reserve and was officially rated 4 star 2 years ago. The family also owns Lukimbi in Kruger NP. I have just booked my fourth stay at Idube for Sept 2007. Reasons for return - Staff, Accommodation - takes 18 people, Setting, Peace..... and Leopards. Like several other lodges in the area, the leopards are known to walk through the grounds. I have also seen cheetah on each of my other visits.Idube also has resident Warthog and Nyala families that live on the lawns. Prices are also reasonable. www.idube.com.
Idube has traversing rights through other concessions.
I hope this helps
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:07 PM
aby

Hi abk,

elephant Plains (recommended by jcasale
) is about half price in comparison to Idube
at least according to this website
http://www.wild-wings.co.za/elephant-plain-lodge.html

aby
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Spent 6 days 5 nights in Sabi Sands; 2 at Sabi Sabi Selati camp, and 3 at Exeter Dulini. Fabulous private accomodations and food. Great guides at Sabi Sabi Selati. Saw enough game and variety to feel as if we saw them all ! Close enough to be their meal ! NO NEED FOR TELEPHOTO ! wide angle perhaps or ask your guide to back up ! Can count on a few fingers what we didn't see ( anteater, pandolin, and cheetah ). Great experience, from open air bouma dinners to cocktails in the bush on pm safaris. Don't worry about it, you WILL return.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:41 AM
santharamhari

TexDoc,

How was Dulini? Did you see those 6 big male lions co-alition? Hope Craig/lucky was your guide/tracker team....they are awesome. Hopefully, you saw a female leopard called,"Makubella". I saw her hunt and kill a nyala in August.

Hari

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:50 AM
santharamhari

Aardvark/Pangolin i have never seen in 7 trips to Africa....

Cheetah are hit or miss in the Sabi Sands....