Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, question for the experts - you can't really see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti can you? I was cleaning out my desk at work yesterday and came across the lyrics to Toto's song called Africa -
One line goes:
'Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti'
??
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM
sandi

Have had plenty of very clear days in Tanzania and in the Serengeti. It's a push to see Kili from there.

However, if you're up in a balloon above 25-50 ft., maybe!

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM

So it's like "Olympus."

I always thought it was "like a leopardess," keeping in the Africa theme. I've been wrong all these years.

I heard members of Toto interviewed one time and still remember them saying they were not trying to be geographically correct with that line. They were just including images of Africa in their song.

So have any of you ballooners seen it?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi and Lynn - I will look for it from the balloon (oops we're ballooning in the Mara).
And Lynn, that interview you mentioned with Toto clears it up - seems I wasn't the first person to wonder about that!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:54 AM
bat

I did not even think to look for it from the balloon--but like rocco's, ours was a pretty low flight.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:28 AM

I was in Tokyo a fair number of years ago. A couple guys in the group from Toto got on the elevator in the hotel I was staying at and I recognized them immeditately. For lack of anything else to say at the moment(and I had a couple drinks), I turned to my wife and said "why in the world would anyone name their band after a Japanese company that makes toilets?" My wife replied, "its better then Crapper." Everyone cracked up.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

That's a good one luangwablondes - I wouldn't have associated the name Toto with Japanese toilets - I always think of Dorothy's dog.
Now, all night, after reading Lynn's comment, it bugged me that they could take geography so lightly - if you are going to write something, I think it should be correct - especially where it concerns our beloved Africa! I could have been straining myself for 2 days trying to see Kilimanjaro!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM

An interesting question! I never bothered to look. Just assumed it was impossible to see Kili from the Serengeti.

So I went to my trusted Google Earth and here is what I found:

http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/SeeKili.jpg

It appears the answer is clearly no unless you are rather high up in the air. Kili will be due East from the Seronera Wildlife Lodge. But it will be hidden behind Ol Doinyo and others!

Now you know which direction to look! Upon your return please tell us what you saw!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou, Eben - I have printed that map out, and will take it with me. And I shall report on what I see according to your map once I get back!
PS - just wanted to tell you you have Jim (DH) hooked on google earth now - I am finding google maps all over the house now!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
sandi

You can (with clear skies) certainly see Ol Doinyo from the Serengeti... we sure did! Seemed as if the mountain was following us when we looked east.

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I am so impressed, Luangwablondes, that you would even recognize Toto, much less launch into a comedy routine.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Its my sense of humor. But the topic of conversation was Toto quite often on that trip. Travelling with a bunch of cynical contractors. Couldn't go to the head without seeing Toto on the porcelin.

Quiz for crowd. You go into the restroom. My oh my. No sit down toilets. Just holes in the floor. No stalls for that matter. Which way do you face when lowering your drawers. What kind of place anyway is this that doesn't have feet in the tile to assist your tired mind? Towards the wall or not? Needless to say, I discussed this with my bowels so my future encounters with public facilities would not include sharing private moments with anyone who walked into the head.

On the way up to the hotel room, we got into the elevator expecting to be crammed on with a half dozen other people. A summo wrestler got on after us. Needless to say, thats all there was room for.

See how exciting the wildlife is in Asia.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:55 PM

what a song, what a place just humming that tune makes me long for africa more than you could ever imagine. there's just something about africa that creeps in every cell of your body!!!