Search

East AFrica Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East AFrica Itinerary

Planning a family trip to East Afric for Feb. 2008. Would appreciate comments on this itinerary prepared for us by a US agent:
1. Fly Arusha to So. Serengeti Natl. Park -2 nights Ndutu Safari Lodge or Camp -
2. TRansfer by road to Ngorongoro Conservation Area - 1 night at Crater Sopa or Serena Lodge
3. By road to Lake Manyara Natl. Park - 1 night E'Unoto Retreat
4. GAme drive in Lake Manyara, return Arusha to fly to Nairobi
5. Overnight in Nairobi - Fairview Hotel
6. Fly Nairobi to Lewa Conservancy - 2 nights Lewa Downs
7.Fly to Masai Mara Game Reserve - choice of 4 nights Leleshwa or 2 there and 2 at either Mara Explorer or Little Governor's Camp
8. Trip ends with flight back to Nairobi

Would appreciate any imput from other forum members. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM

I am no expert, but I would stay within Tanzania in February - the migration is then in Tanzania, and the wildebeest will be calving with a bit of luck - last year they were when we were there.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I'd take the 2/days at Lewa and add them to the Serengeti.

I'd keep the Mara, but realize that Explorer is the most expensive (very expensive compared to your other properties in Tanzania or Kenya). You might want to consider Explorer's sister camp Intrepid's for the 4/nights rather than Leleshwa. Intrepid's is located on the Mara River and will have been recently refurbished (believe by end-May '07).

I assume the day in Nairobi, you'll be doing the sights: Blixen, Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Center - that's good.

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:51 PM

With a total of only 4 nights in Tz and only 2 in the Serengeti, I think you're seriously short-changing yourself. I agree with hetismij - for a Feb safari, I'd stay in Tz for the duration if possible. I'd recommend something more like:

Day 1-Arusha to Lk Manyara (Eunoto)
Days 2-Manyara to Lk Eyasi (Kisima Ngeda)
Day 3-Lk Eyasi to Ngorongoro (Serena or Sopa)
Day 4-full day crater
Days 5,6,7-Ndutu
Days 8,9,10-Olakira or other mobile camp
Day 11-return Arusha

Just a suggested alternate itinerary, Margategirl...the one you posted seems like it's trying to cram too much into too little time.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:16 PM

<b>Is Lewa Downs because you really want to see rhino?</b> If so, I'd leave it. If not, I'd remove it and put those days in the Serengeti, just as Sandi suggested.

But if you are not doing Lewa, then maybe it wouldn't be worth the time and expense of heading to just the Mara in Kenya. I'd consider doing something like Calo suggested.

If you are not even going to Kenya, then you could fly in and out of Tanzania.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Just to add to our previous posts...if you choose not to stay in Kenya, you'd save US$50 per person by not having to purchase Kenyan visas. That can really add up when going with a group/family.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who answered my post. I appreciate your time and advice.
One more question: has anyone used or heard of this Tanzanian operator - Green Footprint Adventures?
Thanks again.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM

My trip is not until September, but I've booked with Green Footprint and have found them really helpful. They've made a lot of effort to help us design our dream trip and had some great suggestions for hiking, cultural visits and other non-safari options. And since we wanted to splurge on some parts of the trip and save on others, they've been helpful with that, too. If you search this board you'll find several trip reports from people who've had terrific safaris with them. Since Green Footprint only does Tanzania, if you decide on Kenya too you would need to book that part through another operator (we're using Eastern &amp; Southern for the Kenya part of our trip).
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34948304
A Green Footprint report