Khaki colored clothing on safari?

Apr 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Khaki colored clothing on safari?

How important is it really to wear khaki colored clothes on safari? I have some tans, browns and greens, but lots more of black, white and other colors. Do I really need to be so conscious of my wardrobe coloring?
Apr 21st, 2005, 12:28 PM
africa_lover

well, it all depends on what kind of safari you plan on doing.
If you go on a walking safari, some guides will ask you to wear khakis, so as not to scare the animals, but otherwise, I have never had a guide in a jeep who told us we could not wear colors on safari.

Apr 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
sandi

With the exception of wearing white on game walks which some guides may object to... wear what you have. Even the statement often seen to stay away from blue is questionnable, as I've seen many guides and camp personnel wearing blue (navy).

At many local villages (in/around the Serengeti, Mara, etc.) in you will find locals/tribes people wearing every color imaginable. And the Masai wear Red!

You should, however, avoid flowing clothing and clunky/noisy jewelry, and, of course, perfume. Try to stick with the neutrals (as you mentioned you have), but if Black is neutural for you, no need to not wear this. That said, the problem with Black is that it holds heat, so you're better off with lighter colors. But leave the bright pinks and/or oranges at home or save for coastal/beach areas if visiting any of these.

Enjoy your holiday.

Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:23 AM

It's the paler blues one should stay away from as they are appealing to Tsetse flies - hence why the cloths impregnated with the stuff to kill them are always pale blue and grey.

Other than that, rather than go all khaki it's best just to avoid bright colours, particularly large blocks of bright colours that would not normally occur in nature and might spook animals.

Avoid bright white, any bright solid colours and stick to the more muted items in your wardrobe plus browns, greens, beiges etc.

We didn't really buy much new stuff, other than a couple of long sleeved shirts and lighter weight travel trousers...
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:34 AM

It really depends on where you are and your activities.

In East Africa, you will be most certainly be inside a safari vehicle with just your head popping out on top. So wear your bright pink if you want, but long-sleaves and long-pants help against sunburn and insect bites.

I often chuckle at the A&K crowds in their designer khakis looking so proper inside their 7-person landcruisers - completely unnecessary as the animals see only the green vehicle and camera-clicking heads.

In East Africa, the tsetses love to sit on black and are somewhat attracted to dark blue so when you drive through a low-lying areas in the woods you may get bothered most!

On walking safaris, you need to blend in - khaki is common.

In Southern Africa on open-vehicle drives, you will probably be asked to wear earthy colors so your red sweater don't look like a piece of fresh meat on a delivery truck - but frankly the animals could probably care less as they are used to seeing strange looking tourists.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

I will be in So. Africa, Namibia and Botswana. I will try to stay with neutrals colors, but at least I don't have to leave my other clothing behind. Thank's for everyone's input.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:05 AM

I was going to respond saying that I always just take clothes that I have, but then I realized that many of the clothes I have are "safari" clothes! Somehow when I go shopping, I'm drawn to khaki and stone, sage, cream, beige and tan; and shirts with yokes and chest pockets and epaulets --- wonder why? (She mused longingly.)
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM

ROFL Celia! Strange thing that!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:00 PM

I'd avoid black and any blue (if you are in a tsetse fly area). Actually, I love it when other tourists wear these colors, because I've seen the flies go directly to them and avoid me! (Tsetse fly traps in Botswana are typically a bright blue to attract the flies.)

Also, I have occasionally had guides who made people change or cover up their "not bush" colors, even on drives! However you can wear whatever you want in camp, at dinner, and on transfers between camps.

Also remember, you don't need alot of clothing...camp laundries are excellent. Less is definitely better when travelling on safari.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM

The camp laundries are a godsendespecially if you are - flying between camps and your luggage is thus limited!

Search this Thread