Pants on safari - optional??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your attention? Ok, I live in blue jeans, but know that is not a good idea on a safari (upcoming in June - Tanzania). I have a couple pair of khaki colored capri (just below the knee) pants -- would that work? Or I found some "washable" linen pants for $19 in khaki colors. Or I could spend big bucks ($50+) and shop at REI for cargo-type pants. All in all I don't want to spend a lot of money because I probably won't wear them once I'm home. Any advice on these choices?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Nothing wrong with your jeans...
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I personally tend not to take jeans on safari for a few reasons:

Their elative weight given the limited allowance (if doing a fly-in safari) is quite high compared with other types of fabric

If you need to get them laundered during the trip there's a worry that they may take longer to dry which can be an issue in accommodations that dry by the warmth of the sun only.

Blue does attract tsetse flies and their bites hurt!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Duh! "elative" = relative!

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM

If you are remaining in the vehicle, as long as you keep them on, jeans are fine.

I don't like exposing my ankles to insects with capris and I'm not squeamish about bugs. But I know ankles are an area they like to bite.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM

In Houston we have Academy stores, which sell light-weight cargo-type pants and similar multi-pocketed shirts, in several shades of khaki/green. They are Magellan brand, and are only $15 each, so you can buy three of each and a Tilley-type or similar hat for $10, and have a complete safari wardrobe for $100 (shoes, socks, and "smalls" extra). You might be able to find a similar store where you are.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM

You would probably be too cold at night in the capris, as it is winter in Tanzania in June. They would be fine midday in some areas, though. Jeans would work, but they are bulkier and take longer to dry at the camps. You'll be in enclosed vehicles, standing and looking out of roof hatches, so it's no big deal that your pants aren't khaki colored. I use the zip-off pants for flexibility. On occasion, Big 5 will have them for under $20. Ex Officio always has some of their travel clothes on sale, as well. www.exofficio.com

When will you be in TZ? I'll have a group there from June 18 to 29. Maybe we'll see you there.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Although I have not done so on my past half dozen safaris, I will not hesitate to wear jeans on future safaris. In my case, I just wasn't wearing jeans in the past but now that I have lost a bunch of weight and I am wearing designer jeans, I would not think of leaving home without them, no matter if I was going to South America, Europe or on an African safari.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM

"In my case, I just wasn't wearing jeans in the past but now that I have lost a bunch of weight and I am wearing designer jeans, I would not think of leaving home without them, no matter if I was going to South America, Europe or on an African safari."

Oh brother, I forgot about Rocco's colorful posts! Guess I'm going to have to read the trip report now.

Jill, get some khakis or olive pants or similar on clearance at the Gap or Old Navy or something. Jeans are fine too, but I wouldn't bring more than one pair because they're so heavy.

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Hguy - I'll check on Academy; we do have them in our area. Also Sports Authority.

Shay - we'll be there June 4-10, and then Rwanda from June 11.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:41 PM
sandi

Gap is showing khakis as slacks or cargo-type pants.

I'd leave the capris home, at any flying thing is going to find your ankles a main course, to do chomp on mine. Likewise, I wouldn't suggest linen, as you'll be sitting all day and unless there's some poly in them (even the newer linens) wrinkle terribly.

Find twill of some sort.

But, as for jeans... I rarely leave home without them. I always have a pair or two with me. Mine, however, are practically down to bare thread, so don't weight that much. And, I've yet to have to launder jeans while on safari.

June is not winter. In fact, I think the weather in June is almost perfect. With warm days 70-75, and nights rarely below 60 (except on the Crater rim where it's always cold). Winter doesn't come till Aug/Sept. June is kind of what we have as Fall (late-Sep/early-Nov) in the northern hemisphere. If early June though, there may still be residual rain from the "long" rains of April/May. However, if it keeps raining as it has been, there may not be any rain during the rainy season.

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I like jeans, and am wearing a pair right now, but on safari we wore supplex nylon and poly, and loved them. MUCH more comfortable than things cotton--jeans and tees (I can just picture Rocco squirming trying to get comfy in his designer jeans while trying to sleep on the plane--no, actually I'd rather not). Light weight, compact, wicking, wrinkle resistant, and dry quickly after washing. And they don't cost much more than the same stuff in cotton. Zip-offs are good, but I stayed in long pants, except while canoeing, after a few tsetse fly bites.

Jim
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Well...I am down three pant sizes (6 inches) since my last safari so I am very excited! Jeans do not have to be uncomfortable...if anything, I am more comfortable in jeans now than anything else...bootleg, relaxed fit, etc....so many different kinds...I am favoring Lucky Brand and Seven For All Mankind.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Golly, Rocco,you'd make a great ad for Slimfast. I hear they're looking for a new model since their last one has gone to the Great Beyond.

But methinks you lost your pant sizes the honest way.

Jim
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM

steeliejim,

I was writing for a major televised boxing event a couple weekends ago sitting next to a nationally known broadcaster who was telling of his less fortunate (than my own) split with his wife recently (seems she left him for an older & wealthier man, with their two toddler children in tow).

He said that one well known comedian spotted him in first class, noticed his significant weight loss and correctly predicted that he and his wife had split, saying that he was guessing the guy was broadcaster was down 30 pounds, saying that most guys lose 30 pounds following such a split.

Well, I am proud to say that I am down 35+ pounds since my highest ever weight in early September and 20 pounds less than the Fodors GTG in late October. Best of all, I have not done it with depression and drinking but rather through working out doing boxing/kickboxing classes on heavy bags, running (5 races this year already of half marathon or greater distance), dancing (returning to dance classes ON MY OWN after having a horrible time doing it in the past but being sold a very expensive package that went mostly unused) and, of course, changing my eating habits.

I couldn't even tell you what SlimFast tasted like, thank God! Basically...eat like a king for breakfast, like a prince for lunch and like a peasant for dinner and stay busy.

I can hardly wait to go to Africa again and I am going to make sure that I have guides who can keep up on walking safaris. About time that I will be able to go on safari and enjoy having MY OWN picture taken in the most beautiful places in the world.

No better feeling in the world when people notice (healthy) weight loss and comment on it.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM

But you'll have to lose the bb cap and wear a proper safari hat for those photo ops to properly show off that sveldt figure, right? I really appreciated the hat you sent me, but after seeing Roelof, our wonderful guide at Old Mondoro in his Rogue Breezy, I had to get me one (took awhile). I'll never match Roelof's GQ looks, but I'll be really stylin for my next safari.

Jim
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Hi jill,
I brought a pair of black light weight stretch jeans and a pair of capris and got by just fine. No bites or cold ankles - nada.
I didn't want to spend $$ for clothes I'd never wear again or to look like a safari going clone - just my odd preference.

Rocco,
Glad to hear that you fit in nicely with the sexy people You'll have to post a picture of your new bad self.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Hey, Sandi, when I said "winter", I didn't mean that it would be like ours in the US. Yes, a Tanzania "winter" is more like our Fall or Spring...lovely weather! Here are some average maximum and minimum temperatures (in F) for Arusha in the dry season, for those who would be interested:

May: 72 - 52
June: 70 - 48
July: 69 - 49
Aug: 72 - 48
Sept: 76 - 47

Of course, averages are just that. I've seen 100+ degrees in Arusha in February when the average "max" is only 84. The coast will be hotter, as will the Serengeti. The Crater rim will be colder, as it's almost 2000' higher.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Rocco....Boxing writer.....I am a big fan....where can I read your stuff?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,why the "Lucky brand" brand? Though....i dont believe i have tried them....what about Diesel?

Hari

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -