Search

Kenya with granddaughter

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya with granddaughter

I am thrilled to take my 16 year old grandaugher to Kenya until I starting shopping for prices!

I want to take her on safari for a week and want it to be in lodges. I'm just a bit nervous since her parents are and want to feel comptely comfortable. I cannot afford the most expensive and the middle is even a bit high but I'll make it work.

Here is the question: What is the difference if I go through a tour company or contact the lodges direct? Money wise and service?

Any suggestions or thoughts will greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Impacked:

When we were planning our August trip to Kenya, I found booking directly with the Serena company to be the best overall value in travelling around Kenya. We decided to spend a wad of money because we wanted to stay in tented camps. However, I was amazed at how reasonable the quote was from Serena to stay at the Samburu Serena and the Mara Serena.

The following is the link of PhilW's similar trip:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34674495

For an overview, you may want to check out LyndaS's fantastic East Africa Trip Report Index (it would be even more up to date but I believe she is in East Africa presently; it seems like we were saying good bye to her for a couple of weeks):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34725679

Good luck,

Kevin from California

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Kevin,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. Wow, that Phil needs to open a travel agnecy or photo classes!

I checked out Serena's website and it looks beautiful. I need to take time to go all through it but I could not find how you get from one camp to another? Also, I did not see what time of vehicles they use for the game drives. I really don't want to take her in a van. Do you know?

thanks for your time,
Kathy from OC

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Impacked,

Lucky you and your granddaughter. It is not your responsibility to get from lodge to lodge. That is why you will have a guide. The pop-up mini vans are standard, but you could request a different kind of vehicle, which is likely more expensive.

Staying in Serena lodges will save you money. I've stayed at Serena properties and they are really nice.

If you are going this August, don't delay. It is an excellent time and lodges are filling up.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Kathy:

I have also heard they use pop up top minivans. When I inquired of Serena they offered the driver/guide with minivan between the lodges as part of the price. I have also heard using LandRover type vehicle is more expensive. However, if you want to be economical, the minivan is the standard way to go. The only real complaint seems to be the dust at times.

Kevin from Ventura County
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM

I believe philw flew from camp to camp on the trip he took with his wife and daughters. Somewhere I asked him how much the flights were...see if you can track this down. Otherwise, working with a tour operator to devise a private safari will enable you to drive between camps/lodges.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:02 AM

Impacked - it can be a very costly trip and will likely be more than a large majority of other locations.

Here's a link to some company's offering group trips with defined itineraries. Longer than you would travel for if it's a week - but very good way to research places to stay, activities expected and associated costs.

http://www.oattravel.com/gcc/general...aspx?oid=47696

http://www.mtsobek.com/cgi-bin/tripList.py

If you work with local agents in country (Africa) you probably won't encounter the same level of mark-up as an operator in US, Europe for example. It would likely be a very long process and require a lot of diligence to manage it with lodges directly. There's so many other decisions to make and plans to prepare for your trip, strong suggest you think about using and agent or group trip to minimize the effort and risks.

Service - pick an agent/operator you feel is responsive and will meet your needs. Also very good advice on this board regarding operators in trip report files or if you do a keyword search by operator name.

You're doing well. Don't be hard on yourself.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM

What a lucky grandaughter you have!

To transfer between camps, you can either fly or drive. Driving will be more economical and the standard safari vehicle used on a driving itinerary in Kenya is a minivan with pop top. You can also request a Land Cruiser/Land Rover, but the cost is usually higher.

I don't know whether it's more economical to use a tour operator or book directly with the lodges and camps. The reason that many of us use a tour operator is because they can provide a vehicle to travel from park to park and we're booking multiple camps that may not be affiliated with each other (which would require contacting and coordinating payments with lots of individual camps directly).

Kevin,
When booking through Serena directly and using their transfer service, can you include non-Serena properties in your itinerary, do you know? In other words, can they act just like any other tour operator?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your time and great suggestions.

So, it's back to the drawing board but at least now I know where to start and what to look for.

I haven't even told her yet!!!!
I am so excited I feel like I've won the lottery!!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Kevin, I want to know the answer to Patty's question too.

Impacked, Maybe you mentioned when you are going, but if it is this August, you will not want to wait to book.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Patty and Lynn:

Sorry I had only asked them re staying in Serena properties. Again, the price was excellent, especially because I was inquiring re staying at the Mara Serena during the likely height of the migration in August. Please note my inquiry was in early February.

Kevin

P.S. Impacked, please let us know your progress in booking. It will be helpful info for others.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM

P.P.S.

Patty were you the one who started the thread about Rocco and Julian re their commentaries on East Africa? If so, did the moderator delete the thread?

Kevin

Impacked, sorry to briefly hijack your thread
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks, Kevin. In answer to your question - yes and yes. If you have additional questions, please feel free to email me at pchang1972 at yahoo dot com - I don't want impacked's thread to get deleted

impacked,
I don't know if you've decided on a time of year or are limited to a certain time that both you and your grandaughter can travel, but if price is an issue, consider traveling during shoulder season periods like June or November. Some lodges and camps lower their rates during these months. I went in November last year and thought it was a great time of year, no crowds, good weather (we're going again about the same time this year). However, if your intent is to see the migration in the Mara (late July to early October), you'll need to pay high season prices (and book early).
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Patty,
Is June considered shoulder season in Kenya? Just thinking (dreaming) way ahead...
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM

It depends on the specific property, but most accomodation prices I've checked this year seem to reflect that. However, with the increase in tourism to Kenya, I think some properties are now re-thinking this pricing structure.

For example, if you look on www.chelipeacock.com you'll see the difference in date ranges between this year's rates vs next year's rates, so hurry up and go before it's all considered high season!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Patty, I see what you mean. Next year there is apparently no such thing as the Green Season.

Meanwhile, to Nyamera and others who may be interested, I saw on Cheli and Peacock's website that they and Land Rover are having a sweepstakes. You can win a 6-day safari in Kenya.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Pattie and all,

At Christmas I will be in England with my husbands family. He will be leaving for a business trip and I figured I was not coming home. So, I came up with the great$$ idea to fly my granddaughter to London and from there we would got together to Kenya. So, it will be early January.

Does anyone have a particlar company they have used with good experience? With vans or landcruisers.

Thanks Again
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Impacked,

Sorry I thought you were going in August, but that is Stakerk, so there is no great rush.

Here are East Africa agents that have been used with success on the board in the recent past. You could do a search in the box.

Africa Adventure
Africa Serendipty
Eastern & Southern Safaris
Gametrackers
Go2Africa
Good Earth
Green Footprint Adventures
Roys
Sunny Safaris
Southern Cross Safaris
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM

I've used Eastern & Southern and have been very happy with their service. I've also heard good comments about Southern Cross and recently, Gamewatchers. These 3 operators are based in Kenya.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

I looked at Gametrackers before & liked the fact they use open air vehicles.
But I really lilked the look as well as price of Southern and Eastern.

15 years ago when my husband and I went to Kenya we made friends with a cab driver we had while in the city. Over the years we have corresponded on a regular basis. We are very happy to send money to his boys boarding school each year for their education. Contrary to most stories you hear he has no desire to come to America nor does his father, and 2 Wives, his 10 brothers and sisters who all live together in the bush.

I wrote him a letter today and asked him if he could ask for a local reputably company
that I could feel safe with. Of course, whatever his response is I will thoroughly investigate but either way I think his findings will be interesting.

Thanks again for all your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -