Kenya/Tanzania visa question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passport is getting pretty full but still not close to expiring, so I'm wondering if I will need to add pages before we go to Kenya and Tanzania next year. How many blank pages do you need for the visas and all necessary stamping? (For India, we needed two facing blank pages.)

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM
sandi

You'll need a page each for Kenya and Tanzania.

If you need additional pages in your passport until it's time to renew, this can be done at no charge. Just check the US Passport site, where you can download the appropriate form.

Complete the form and enclose along with your passport to the address indicated (possibly, you may want to enclose a postage paid return envelope [though I simply had the passport office return by regular mail]).

Passport should be returned within a few weeks with the additional pages (I believe 12 double sided).

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Just a follow-up question on this subject: will our passports be stamped separately for Zanzibar? (I think I have enough blank pages, but don't want to be caught short-handed!)
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
sandi

If you already have your visa on entering Tanzania, no, your passport won't be stamped when entering ZNZ.

However, when departing ZNZ (for home), your passport is usually stamped... it can be on the same page as the original Visa or wherever else the agent finds space to place it.

Remember - when departing ZNZ, there is a departure tax due (not included in your air ticket). Going to DAR or JRO the fee is about $5-$10/person; to NBO the fee is $20-$25/person, so be sure to have sufficient funds for this fee.

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
MyDogKyle - I just checked into this last week for my trip in a couple of weeks. I found one place that said Kenya requires 2 blank pages. I don't know about Tanzania. Also, be aware that you can't use the last couple of pages. I had to send mine off for rush service to add pages so I can't look but I think they are labeled "amendments" and they can't be used.

For anyone that is going to South Africa, they require 2 blank facing pages.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. Sounds like I might as well add pages to be on the safe side... and, hey, I'm hoping Africa isn't my last trip before the passport expires, anyway!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM

The Kenya visa takes up about 2/3 of a page and when you exit, they usually put the exit stamp on the same page as your visa.

Last year when entering Tanzania at JRO, we only got a postage sized stamp and no "visa". Upon departure, we got to the airport later than most and I think the immigration officer had already gone home for the evening hence we have no exit stamp from that trip.

This year entering at DAR, we did get both visa (slightly smaller than the Kenyan one) and entry stamp. And this time I got two exit stamps to make up for the missing one from last year, go figure!