Reload this Page >

Kenya/Tanzania Visa can you obtain upon arrival

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Ken

I am going to Kenya and Tanzania in February. My tour operator recommends that we optain Visas prior to departure. I have red on this site that you can optain a Kenya Visa upon arrival with little trouble. Is this also true of Tanzania? The recommended service to get the visa here charges a$60.00 fee. Any advice on visa application would be appreciated. This is our first trip to Africa. Thanks!!<BR><BR>Ken

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Dick

Ken, when in Tanzania in June we saw individuals getting their Visas at the airport. Seemed to be no hassel. I did read somewhere about having exact bills ready.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:48 AM
chris

last year in Kenay I had no problem getting my Visa upon arrival at Nairobi Airport. I'm going to Kenya and Tanzania in December and confirmed with the airlines that I could again get my visa at Nairobi Airport and at Kiliminjaro Airport (flying from Nairobi). I think the rules are slightly different if you arrive in Tanzania by road-definitely check on this! Look at the website-<BR>Have exactly $50 US cash ready at both entry points for each person. <BR><BR>Also helpful to print out and fill in the forms ahead of time. (don't need a photo). <BR>http://www.kenya-airways.com/require.html<BR>http://www.tanzaniaembassy-us.org/visa.html

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Professional Traveler

For both Kenya and Tanzania visas can be obtained quite easily upon arrival. $US50 per person. Even crossing over by road. This is current information.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Kristine

Our trip coordinator wants to mail our passports to the embassy in DC and then onto Africa or something to get visas. I'm not very comfortable being without my passport for so long. Have you heard about this?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Keena

She/he is wrong. Get a new travel agent or inform her by showing the posts here from people who did get visas in Kenya and Tanzania. We did it as we were not able to separate ourselves from our passports. It is a very easy process to get your visas once you get there.<BR><BR>Author: dcp ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/26/2002, 10:14 pm<BR>Message: I'm going in just a few weeks and just learned a visa (I have a passport) is required for entry. I now know I can get from the Kenya consolute in DC for $50 but amnot sure I will get it back in time. What is the cost and difficulties of getting one once I arrive in Nairobi? Thanks!<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: ttt ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/26/2002, 10:54 pm<BR>Message: Author: Dave ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/04/2001, 10:42 pm<BR>Message: My wife and I went to Kenya in June. We got off the plane, went to the visa desk, gave a $100.00 bill, got a visa in 3 minutes.<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR><BR>Author: Gina ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/05/2001, 06:18 am<BR>Message: We learned that to avoid any delays and lost of passports we would have to send to the Kenyan Embassy to apply for visas the best way is to get them at the airport just the way Dave did. This is what we will do in February. <BR>And having cash with you is important like Davis also stated.<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR><BR>Author: Deb ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/06/2001, 03:25 pm<BR>Message: The Visa desk is just before you enter immigation. Just have your $50.00USD in crisp bills and you will have it in a snap. Helps signifcantly if you have exact change - my friend handed them 3 $20 bills and the person behind the desk didn't want to make the change.<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR><BR>Author: chris ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/07/2001, 12:51 am<BR>Message: Just visited Kenya in late October. Also got my Visa at the Nairobi airport. No problem, important to point out if you don't already know, you must have US$. I also downloaded the visa form from the Kenya Embassy website (the one you can mail in) and had it already filled in for them at the airport to save me a bit of time. <BR><BR>http://www.kenyaembassy.com/visa.html<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: Gina ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/27/2002, 07:43 am<BR>Message: And this is what we did in February. We had our applications ready with two $50.00 fresh bills attached to them and took less than one minute to be on the way to pick up our bags<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: Gina ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/27/2002, 07:48 am<BR>Message: Forgot one thing. Once we got our visas we been told to pass immmigration line as we already got our passports properly stamped.<BR>A whole process took more than one minute<BR><BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: Gina ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/27/2002, 07:51 am<BR>Message: Should be<BR>&quot;A whole process took less than one minute&quot;<BR><BR> <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 04:42 AM
dcp

Go to the Kenya Goverment web site and down load/print a copy of the form before you go. If you have it filled out when you arrive, the process will take as long as it does to hand over $50 in cash.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Gina

Your travel agent should supply you with the visas forms or do what DCP suggested.<BR>It is so easy that you souldn't worry about it at all.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Patricia

Add my friend and me to the list of those who got off the plane in Nairobi with $50 (exact change) in crisp U.S. bills, handed them to the guy at the visa window along with an already filled-out form, got stamped and moved along to the luggage claim within 2 minutes (this was the time for BOTH of us combined). No need to go through regular customs. Great system, very fast. Don't worry about it. My friend's son was to leave for Turkey right before we went to Kenya and he sent his passport through the mail and it was &quot;lost,&quot; not getting to him until weeks after the date he was to leave. So he had to postpone his trip. It eventually came and he went later, but that's too much to risk.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:31 AM
Ken

Thanks for al the good advice...that is what is so nice about this site!! i hope to post a trip report upon my return....I have so enjoyed those posted on this site...thanks again.<BR><BR>Ken

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For gtrekker2003