Kenya Here We Come!

Aug 24th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Kenya Here We Come!

Finally I have confirmed my itinerary with Gamewatchers Safaris for August 2006. I've picked my own national parks and camps from reading all of your reviews so I would like to thank you all for sharing your adventures.

My itinerary is as follow:

August 4, 06 arrive from BKK via Kenya Airways at 4.20 am. Dayroom at Norfolk Hotel. Charter flight to Meru National Park - Elsa's Kopje. Chosen because of a trip report from "Styleoracle" - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34533782

August 5, 06 Elsa's Kopje

August 6, 06 charter flight to the Great Rift Valley - Little Shompole. First read about this camp from this thread by Davidv, King and Sandi - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34575691

August 7, 06 Little Shompole

August 8, 06 charter flight to Masai Mara - Governor's IL Moran. Again I first read about this camp from the same thread above - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34575691

August 9, 06 Il Moran

August 10, 06 charter flight to Cottar's 1920. Chosen because of a trip report from Sandi - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34649458

August 11, 06 Cottar's

August 12, 06 Cottar's

August 13, 06 flight back to Nairobi with a dayroom at the Norfolk before our night flight back home.

A month ago I've never heard of these places before. It's amazing what you can learn here!

Aug 24th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Sounds wonderful!
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:19 PM
sandi

Hanuman -

Glad that I was able to assist in your decision making. Great itinerary.

Re "styleoracle" - great report which "she should finish one of these days" (do you hear me?) - as if I should talk - you're all still due two-days of my report... it's coming. Just a jab at a friend!!!!

But, sorry to tell - styleoracle didn't stay at Elsa's Kopje... it must have been another post on that thread.

Regardless, you've made a good choice with Elsa's Kopje. Now you have to wait a full year - no sweat, it'll be here before you know.

Aug 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Sandi you're right! Sorry but I posted the wrong link for the Elsa's Kopje trip report. It was the report by SusanLynne that made me wanted to visit Meru: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34540562

Cheers,

Aug 25th, 2005, 03:46 AM
sandi

Hanuman -

I thought I had lost it wondering if I had remembered correctly, even waking in the night to recheck. I wondered whether you weren't thinking it had been SusanLynne who had posted a great report on Elsa's. And sure enough, it was SusanLynne's trip report.

So my mind is still intact. But it's any wonder that one can become confused with so much great information found here on Fodor's. Again, you've got a great itinerary.

Aug 26th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Hope the trip is great.
Would love to know your views on Il Moran when you return. Staying there in a few months time.
Aug 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Judytwo,

I'm afraid that you'll be there before me! My trip is not until August 2006. Please let ME KNOW about your stay at IL Moran when you come back.
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow.. I've just been informed that I'm waitlisted for IL Moran for August 2006! I thought that if I gave it a year's notice I should have plenty of time to get all the reservations that I wanted.

Now I'm being recommended Bateleur who can confirm my reservation straight away. At least I know from Styleoracle' report that the camp is very good.

Aug 27th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Apologies Hanuman. I obviously need to get my eyes checked out before I endeavour to see any animals whilst on safari!

Must say I am surprised that Il Moran has put you on a waiting list.

Would anyone know if the recent attack on tourists whilst on safari was anywhere near the Il Moran camp?
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Judy,

Apparently a big group has put a hold on all the tents during the time that I have plan to be there. I don't know why they don't book the Governor's Private camp instead. I'm confirming Bateleur instead, will cost more money but what the heck!

Regarding the robbery. Yes it happened near where all the main camps are located. I've been told where the people(who were robbed) were staying but I don't want to post that here. I wouldn't worry too much about it!
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Thanks for information Hanuman.

Pehaps being forced to change your choice of camp will prove a good thing.

In connection with your response, curiosity has prevailed. So, I have to ask, were those poor people attacked staying at Il Moran?

One must question if information about possible victims is supplied by those working within the camps. How feasible do you think that assumption is?

If doing a long trip it is a problem in respect of valuables. How secure do you reckon the central safe on these camps really are?

Search this Thread