Medical concerns with repellent and sunscreen

Aug 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Medical concerns with repellent and sunscreen

I read an article that mentioned when both are applied together this can be a problem. Stated that using any Deet product and a sunscreen can cause toxicity. Medical articles say the combibation can be disastrous. Any comments?
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Doris:

You should be covered with what you already have. I have always carried my Ultrathon and deet spray but never had to use them. Perhaps if you are there in the rainy season you'd need it but I have never seen a mosquito or been bitten in eight trips. Most of the lodges and camps have DOOM spray in the rooms in case you need to spray the room, but in early October you will probably be fine - unless they have had early rain.
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:24 PM

that did not answer the question...i never heard this info but am curious
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:30 PM

dorish-did some research...the cdc recommends using both, putting on the sunscreen first, then the deet. they do not recommend using a product that contains both deet and sunscreen as the application times is very different. read the directions on your bottle of repellant.
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:34 AM
sandi

Sunscreen should be used during daytime when the sun is out. Whereas, mosquito biting time is from dusk to dawn when repellent should be applied to exposed skin. So you'd use each at different times, but be sure to wash off the sunscreen before applying repellent - it only makes sense.

Now, now unless there are flying things around during the day and you're appealing food for these - you don't need repellent during the day.

While I've never used sun screen and rarely repellent everyone is different, so you have to make your own decision as to what is needed and when.

Aug 28th, 2005, 04:54 AM

You should apply sunscreen (ideally, sunblock) first, followed by insect repellent.

It is possible to buy 'two-in-one' combination sunblock/DEET products. The reason combined products are ill-advised is that they usually contain low concentrations of sunblock and DEET and are not very effective.

Cheeers,
Julian

Search this Thread