Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jordan travel

With all thats's going on in the middle east
any problems traveling to Jordan/Egypt?
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:20 AM
africnow

No, none. There is no reason to think that either Jordan or Egypt will become involved in the current situation with Israel and the Hezbollah in Lebanon.

In fact the President Mubarak, is being one of the best liasons between Israel and the Hamas to try to help solve the problem.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM

I just returned today and it was a fabulous trip. I only had time for a short jaunt to Jordan--6 days. But, it was pure wonder. Everyone was gracious and hospitable. It has spoiled me for the more common destinations! 8-)
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM

I echo SloJan's comments--albeit a year later. I returned from Jordan yesterday--my first trip to the Middle East. Jordan is a wonderful country and the people are a delight. We experienced no security problems. Security is tight at all hotels in Jordan--metal detectors to enter all large western hotels and armed guards very visible. Security was tight at our hotel since the Iraqi prime minister was staying there.

I can't wait to return!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM

I am thinking about going to Jordan and Syria in October. Could you please tell me more about your trip to Jordan? Why was it so amazing?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:52 AM

I have been to Jordan twice this year. I have reviews and pictures at http://www.bombasticlife.com

The Dead Sea and Petra are both Amazing. Something everyong should see. Aqaba was so-so, not that impressed with it.

If you get a chance, get to Jordan!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 04:16 AM

Jordan is currently quite under-discovered as a tourist destination; I think that even by next year this will all have changed: Petra had just been elected as one of the new seven wonders, and as people (particularly US citizens) regain confidence in flying, they will start to head for what is doubtless the safest country in Jordan. Some friends and I went for a week, and eventhen we dodn't manage to see the incredible range of attractions in the small country. There's obviously Petra, but you've got Jerash and Ajlun in the north, Mt Nebo (I think this is where moses looked out over the holy land after the exodus from egypt), there's the place where jesus was baptised, you've got the dead sea, world class diving in aqaba, stunning scenery in loads of nature reseves and amazing desert lanscapes.... the list goes on...
You really must go if you have the chance, we went as students on a tight budget but found a very helpful tour operator who squeezed as much in as possible, and also managed to stick to our budget. I don't think i'm allowed to give out details on this blog, but if anybody's interesting in hearing more let me know and I'll send you a private message. Birthdayboy
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Petra is inspiring. The pure scale of it is simply unbelievable, but the blend of Roman, Greek, and Egyptian influences pulls together into a complex array of carvings and structures.

Jordan has a relatively temperate climate compared to other places in the Middle East. The temperatures in mid-August were high 80s and very dry.

There's a wealth of religious history in Jordan. Jesus was baptized in the River Jordan and Moses looked out over the promised land from Mount Nebo. There's also a circuit of castles from the crusades dating back to the 12th century.

The Dead Sea is interesting due to its unique nature--nothing living it--and the lowest point on earth. There are many western hotels and spas. But it's hot, hot, hot there. Be prepared.

There are also a lot of things we didn't see that is a reason to go back--including the ruins at Jerash, etc.

The people are friendly and welcoming. The food is wonderful--mezzes-baba gnoush, hummus, tabbouleh, kibbe, barbecued lamb and chicken, and those arabian sweets. Loads of italian restaurants as well-but the arabian food was better to me.

All in all-- a great experience that's much different from many other places in the western world.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

I asked the question in 2006- Is it safe?
Well, what a trip we had.
All I can say is there's more to Jordan than PETRA [Which is fantastic and something so special] We felt save everywhere-so much to see! t.s
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I live in Cairo and need to escape the pollution, people and noise at Christmas. At present I have planned a 5 day camping trip into the Western Desert on December 20. I'm thinking of changing it to include a trip to Petra. I assume that it will have lots of people, some noise and no pollution. If that's true I'll wait until a time when I'm more interested in fellow tourists.

Can anyone answer this question? Thanks.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM

sunshine, I think you are asking if Petra will be busy. We visited two years ago in late November....very quiet and few tourists. Certainly somewhere to visit that will shake your soul!!!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM

On the verge of changing my mind & going to Petra rather than the Western Desert in Fayoum & Baharaya in Egypt.

Trip would be from Dec. 20-24. We're driving from Cairo in a 4 wheel drive, so I think it's one day going & one day coming back with an extra day to play around with. Maybe Wadi Rum (Run?)

Anyway, what are the chances of rain then?

Thanks.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 07:52 AM

In the immortal words of Emily Litella: Never MInd.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM
P_M

I'm leaving on Nov 23 for a long-awaited Egypt/Jordan trip. I'm so excited, I just cant wait!! Thanks for all the good info on this thread.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Birthdayboy

If you can share more re your trip to Jordan I would appreciate it. I actually think you could do a trip report on Fodors but if you prefer to share off board please contact me at wintersm at bellsouth dot net.