Jerusalem -places to stay

Jan 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Jerusalem -places to stay

I've been reading the forum as well as Fodor's guide book about Israel. On this our first trip to Israel my husband and I want to make it simple. Stay in Jerusalem early October for 8 days, hire a private guide for a half day or two, go to Masada and Dead Sea. We have rented apartments in European cities and found the sense of "home" a nice plus (although we are not adverse to hotels). I'm hoping some of the regular experts here can tell me which areas of the city are best to stay in. We are in our mid-60s and being near noise, bars and night life isn't what we want. We are happy to walk 20 minutes to get to the main sights. Any specific ideas of places to stay or apartment versus hotel discussion would be welcome. I have come to depend on this site for all my planning and have not been disappointed. Thanks
Jan 24th, 2010, 08:01 AM

I visited Jerusalem 3 times in the mid-90's, each time staying at the Sheraton Jerusalem (aka Jerusalem Plaza Hotel). So it's been a number of years. But at that time, I thought the location was excellent---short walks to either Ben Yehuda area or Old City. Then the rooms were very good as were the breakfasts. You could check out tripadvisor for recent reviews of the place.
Jan 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Suggest you search Vrbo.com. I think that the German Colony or Rechavia area will suit you just fine..
Jan 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

sdb2 I did check out the Sheraton and it seems to have some issues with being older. Jerry: I appreciate the information about sections of the city to stay. I was hoping for more input from others too. I'll keep checking back to see if anyone else has comments.
Jan 30th, 2010, 08:39 AM

fyi, the sheraton plaza is now called the leonardo plaza...

another site for finding vacation rentals is:
http://www.janglo.net/index.php?opti...=-1&Itemid=170

i agree with JerryS that the german colony & rechavia are good options, you could also look at abu tor, rechavia or baka (though they're further away).

i've heard good things about little house in the colony, maybe check that out (they also have branches in rechavia & baka)
Feb 4th, 2010, 05:56 AM

My wife and I (seniors) went to Israel in October, and on the Jlem part stayed in an apt, which does, as you say, give a feeling of being at home, and a part of the people rather than a tourist.

I spent a lot of time and effort deciding on the best apt for us. I studied several sites, including:

VRBO.com,
http://www.apartmentsisrael.com/
http://www.athomeinisrael.com/
http://www.travel-library.com/accomm...ael/jerusalem/

and others.

We finally stayed at an apt on Achad Haam St, which was a good area. Quiet, within walking distance to the Jaffa gate, Ben Yahuda Mall, Emek Refiam St.

My suggestion is not to ask for the name of which area is better. Names of areas can be deceptive. I would advise you to get a map of Jlem, or print close up maps from Google maps, and plot where the apts are, as I did.

Then draw a triangle between the 3 places which I mentioned above. That is the best area, and if your intention is to go to the Old City frequently, like we did, then the closer to the Old City the better. The area around the King David Hotel would then be the most central.

You should know that a 20 min walk involves up and down hills and is more strenuous than most places.
Feb 4th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Bert this is great helpful information. I am saving it as I surf looking at places on the net. And thanks for info about 20 minute walk being up and down. We're seniors too and don't mind walking but this could be a pain.
Feb 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM

eyalgottfried, there's crazy construction going on at mamilla!! so maybe there aren't cars on that one side of the hotel, but i definitely wouldn't say it's going to be quiet there!!