Search

Jerusalem/Eilat to Petra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerusalem/Eilat to Petra

We are interested in visiting Petra from Jerusalem. From what I have learned, it makes the most sense to spend a day in Eilat and go from there. Is that true? Has anyone made the trip and have recommendations in terms of transportation, guides, etc?

Thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:22 AM

I have not done this myself but I have done some research on a similar trip. It seems best to contact a tour company from Jordan to have a driver meet you at the border after you cross from Eilat. The driver could take you to a Petra hotel and you could stay a couple nights there. Guides are available at the entrance to Petra. You could then be transported back to the border. Try Petra Moon.

Pat
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Hi
Two years ao we visited Petra from Eilat. We stayed at the Movenpick Hotel in Petra. A driver from the hotel was supposed to meet us ant the border in Jordan. Unfortunately the driver didn't show up. After some hassle we got one of the local people to take us to his uncle who is a licensed taxi driver and he drove us to Petra. On returning to Eilat we made our own arrangments for a driver to take us from Petra. It worked out very well. We were assisted by Jordanian border guards who made several phone call for us as were very helpful. The crossing itself is uneventful, you buy a visa stamp when you enter Jordan. The crossing was fast and easy. Crossing back into eilat, there were taxis available at the Israeli side. It was also easy crossing back into Israel. Petra is spectactular. whether you use a guide or not I would recommentd reading "Petra-A Traveller's Guide" by Rosalyn Maqsood before you go so that you will have a background and an idea of its history
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 09:49 PM

We arranged a day trip from the desk at our Eilat hotel. They go every day, any hotel can help you. We only went for the day, but I think if you can stay overnight you'd get to see more of the site.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM

PS: If you can, in Eilat we went to Dolphin Reef. You can pay to snorkel or dive with the dolphins, or just walk out on the pontoon and sit there watching them playing all around you. They also have 'relaxation tanks' which are absolutely amazing. They are not cheap, but unique in the world I think and indescribable. We only did the 45 minute one, but having done it I'd highly recommend the longer session. Dusk would be amazing. We loved Dolphin Reef. It was by far the best thing in Eilat.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Here's a link to Dolphin Reef: http://www.dolphinreef.co.il/
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM

We will be going on a bus (tour) from Jerusalem to Eilat and on to Petra.Back to Eilat the same day. At least that is my option now. We want to stay overnight at a very modest but with sea view hotel and then return to Jerusalem the next afternoon. Any suggestions? Please email:[email protected] Thank you.