Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > New Wilderness Safari Camps in the Congo-Anyone thinking about going??

New Wilderness Safari Camps in the Congo-Anyone thinking about going??

Jan 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

New Wilderness Safari Camps in the Congo-Anyone thinking about going??

Well we are finishing up planning one trip and are of course thinking about the next. It was mentioned to be about two camps opening in the Congo in May. Anyone have information about it. i found the itinerary on the internet and looked really exciting especially since I am such a primate lover. I am just wondering how easy it will be to see the gorillas and will it be anything like Uganda in terms of habitation. I was also trying to figure out the best time to go there. It was hard to tell but maybe it is December through February. Anyone have any information?
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:11 AM

Wish I did. I'm also hoping to hear more.
Jan 9th, 2012, 09:53 AM

Thinking, sure. Putting down a deposit, no. What's so encouraging is that tourism is on the upswing there. Hoping it will encourage habitat preservation and bring in money.

I looked to see if Volcanoes Safaris was venturing into Congo, which was their plan at one time. Not yet. Volcanoes is big in Uganda/Rwanda.

How easy? Second hand info given to me by other travelers is that the lowland gorillas are easier to get to than the mountain gorillas and the interactions were much closer. Probably not the best for the gorillas and maybe there will be more regulations now. I really hope so to decrease the transmission of germs and diseases.

If I could assign you a mission GreenAcres, I'd send you this May (or Dec-Feb) to report back!
Jan 9th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Atravelynn- I think a need a companion, the single supplement was a little steep. Want to come with me? We are actually thinking about it for maybe February or Summer 2013. I am not exactly clear what is the best time, season wise to go but as soon as I have some information I will definitely keep everyone posted. I truly love the primates so this trip sounds amazing and I did read as well that the lowland gorillas were easier to easier to get to. If you can believe that my mom who went to see the gorillas in Uganda with us, at 74 is excited about the possibility of going. I think we should arrange a Fodor group and we could all be adventurers together and write one big trip report on our return.

Femi- This trip should be up your alley as well. My the way Femi, we are off to Sri Lanka in five weeks. I have been so busy planning the summer trip to Zimbabwe, I have almost forgot we are going.
Jan 10th, 2012, 12:25 AM

It sounds very interesting and I could be tempted but I'd like to know a bit more about getting visas etc.

A while ago I got sent info from Bryan Jackson, guide and safari manager at Tafika in SOuth Luangwa, about a trip he's guiding in March to see lowland gorillas in the CAR and I was quite interested until I started looking into the business of getting a visa. CAR doesn't even have an embassy in London, it would all have to be done via Paris and the paperwork they wanted was pretty extensive including copies of bank statements etc.
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:21 AM

A trip to the Congo ( I get shivers just thinking about it!) is definitely up my alley

I know what you mean about Sri Lanka; it's happened many times that I am so caught up in planning a trip a year down the road that I forget about my trip round the corner!

For instance, I've been so busy wih next year's trips that I'm now having to reacquaint myself with Uganda and the Indian Ocean (getting closer )

I do wish you would write reports so I can see how things went for you, although I understand why you don't for I am also guilty of the same. Atravelynn has prodded me successfully by saying just a few photos and 100 words gets you off the hook.
Jan 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I guess I am a little intimated by all the wonderful writers on this forum but I am a huge photographer and would love to show my pictures. I have never posted pictures and am not even sure how to do it but maybe I can try. My pictures from Madagascar were some of the best that I have taken so much so that the tour operator forwarded my name to a person who is writing a book on Amazing Wildlife Experiences. If my pictures are published it would be the most incredible thing that could happen. I was already to quit my day job until I realized you do not make any money. Oh well, very exciting nonetheless if it happens.
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Please, pretty please post a link to pics of Madagascar!
Jan 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM

You can load your photos onto a site like Kodak Easy Share, Picassa, SmugMug even Facebook. Then put the link here.

Kodak is about the easiest and if you have trouble you can do an online typed chat with their tech people.. Kodak is free if you buy something like $15-$20 worth of photos each year.

No Congo for me in the next few years, but I'd be interested in your trip if you went.

Search this Thread