Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Israel with a side of Jordan in August (gulp)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2019, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fairly active couple in late 30's heading to Israel for the first time in late July for 12 days. Primary interests: People watching, culture, food, history. I know it will be very hot but visiting Petra is a MUST and thus we must deal with the heat. How is this itinerary?

July 26 - Arrive 5pm, stay in Tel-Aviv
July 27-30 in Tel Aviv
July 31 - Rent a car and drive to the Dead Sea for a few hours, and then head south to Eilat by evening
Aug 1/2 - Private guided tour to Petra/Wadi Rum, returning to Eilat evening of Aug 2.
Aug 3 - Drive back up, return car, head to Jerusalem
Aug 4-5 - Jerusalem
Aug 6 - 4pm flight out

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 04:36 AM

You're spending only two days in Jerusalem and in my opinion that's a big mistake. Take a day or two from Tel Aviv and switch it to Jerusalem.
I also suggest you put your question on the Trip Advisor Israel Forum. They know their stuff.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 04:37 AM

Oh and return your car to Jerusalem. No need to go back to Tel Aviv.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Changing itinerary as per advice.
July 27-30 in Tel Aviv (4 days)
July 31, Aug1/2 - Jerusalem (3 days)
Aug 3 - Rent a car and drive to the Dead Sea for a few hours, and then head south to Eilat by evening
Aug 4 - Private guided tour to Wadi Rum, evening in Petra
Aug 5 - Private guide to Petra, transfer to Aqaba by evening
Aug 6 - Cross border, pick up car, drive back up to TLV, catch 4pm flight out

This way, I get 4 relaxing days in TLV on arrival and then 3 days in JRS followed by a bit of an adventure.

How does that sound?
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by sshprints04
Changing itinerary as per advice.
July 27-30 in Tel Aviv (4 days)
July 31, Aug1/2 - Jerusalem (3 days)
Aug 3 - Rent a car and drive to the Dead Sea for a few hours, and then head south to Eilat by evening
Aug 4 - Private guided tour to Wadi Rum, evening in Petra
Aug 5 - Private guide to Petra, transfer to Aqaba by evening
Aug 6 - Cross border, pick up car, drive back up to TLV, catch 4pm flight out

This way, I get 4 relaxing days in TLV on arrival and then 3 days in JRS followed by a bit of an adventure.

How does that sound?
If your flight leaves at 4 PM, you have to arrive at the terminal by 1 PM, three hours before departure. This means you have to get to the airport by 12:30 to allow time to return the car. The drive from Eilat to the airport takes at least 4 hrs. This is cutting it too close and if anything goes wrong you will miss your flight. I suggest getting to Tel-Aviv a day earlier, or at least cross the border on the evening of the 5th and get a much earlier start on the 6th (I assume that you are leaving your car at the border parking lot when you are in Jordan).

A better idea would be to start off in Jerusalem, then do your Jordan tour, then spend the last few days in Tel-Aviv. You could also do a day tour to the Dead Sea from Jerusalem (look at Abraham Tours), then take a bus to and from Eilat (look at the "Egged" website for schedules and fares) and dispense with the bother and expense of renting a car.

Last edited by mbgg; Feb 21st, 2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. I should have added that the reason I am doing 5 nights in TLV at the start is for 3 reasons:
-After a long flight/jet-leg, I much prefer to spend a few days relaxing on the beach than intensive sightseeing we plan for JRS
-We arrive Fri even...and from what I gather, JRS will be fairly dead until Shabbat is over..
-My hotel in TLV gives us a 5th night free, so if I start in JRS, I will only have 4 nights in TLV and thats an additional cost.

The Petra tour on Aug 5th will likely be very early in the morning (August)..what if after the tour, we get dropped off in Aqaba..we cross the border and drive up to Mitzpe Ramon and spend the night there? This way, on Aug 6, our drive is only half..we can leave the hotel at 10am..be at the airport by 12ish.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by sshprints04
Thanks for this. I should have added that the reason I am doing 5 nights in TLV at the start is for 3 reasons:
-After a long flight/jet-leg, I much prefer to spend a few days relaxing on the beach than intensive sightseeing we plan for JRS
-We arrive Fri even...and from what I gather, JRS will be fairly dead until Shabbat is over..
-My hotel in TLV gives us a 5th night free, so if I start in JRS, I will only have 4 nights in TLV and thats an additional cost.

The Petra tour on Aug 5th will likely be very early in the morning (August)..what if after the tour, we get dropped off in Aqaba..we cross the border and drive up to Mitzpe Ramon and spend the night there? This way, on Aug 6, our drive is only half..we can leave the hotel at 10am..be at the airport by 12ish.
Your information about Jerusalem on Saturday is incorrect. The Old City is open for business as usual (except for sites in the Jewish Quarter). The Israel Museum, the Bible Lands Museum, the David's Citadel Museum the Museum of Islamic Art are all open. Check their websites for Saturday hours.
Regarding Tel-Aviv, there are free beaches along the entire length of the city. However too much sun is dangerous to the skin and doctors recommend to avoid the beach between 10 AM and 4 PM. So what is your plan to occupy yourself during those five days? (I can make a lot of recommendations) .
Are you taking a Petra tour from Eilat or Aqaba? A tour from Eilat will take you back to the border and save you time ("Desert Eco" tours get a lot of recommendations on the forums). In either case, you have to ask exactly when you will return to Aqaba/Eilat. The drive from Mitspe Ramon to the airport will take more than two hours since you will be driving through weekday morning traffic.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 07:45 PM

A better option: start off in Tel-Aviv, drive down to Eilat via Mitzpe Ramon and do your Jordan tour, drive back to Jerusalem via the Dead Sea, return the car and stay in Jerusalem to the end of your vacation.
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 06:38 AM

I agree with mbgg.

Five days in Tel Aviv is a lot considering how much there is to see in tthe other places you're going to. I wouldn't save some money just to short change Jerusalem.
TLV for 3 days, down to Eilat (want to do some swimming and snorkeling there? You'll need to spend at least one night and a full day; then to Jordan then back to Jerusalem, drop off car in the city and spend your last days there.

Go from Jerusalem to Ben Gurion airport.

I'm not sure where you would leave your car in Eilat for 2 days, but I know there are parking lots. Others could advise you of this.