Israel tour group recommendation?

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Israel tour group recommendation?

We are planning a 1st trip to Israel, late May to early June 2008, 2 weeks. FINALLY got DH to agree to go - he has lots of safety concerns, and well, I do, too.

We are a family of 3 with DS 15 yrs old. We usually enjoy independent travel, doing lots of trip research, picking up a day tour for specific sites, driving ourselves or taking public transport. However, I do not want to drive or take public transportation in Israel. I am thinking of using a tour company but don't want to take a bar mitzvah tour and I don't want to be on a huge bus with every meal in a hotel. I am concerned that a private tour guide will probably be too expensive.

Any suggestions on great tours of Israel's highlights that don't feel like you a bunch of sheep being herded all over? Maybe I am just being too negative about tours ...
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM
P_M

I went with Gate 1 tours, but it was a typical tour with many of the things you don't want. Although I was not driving in Israel, it semed like it would be easy as road conditions and signs were very good. I didn't use public transportation there but I would have no hesitation to do it on my next trip.

I can understand your safety concerns. For that reason alone I put off seeing Israel for many years. Then last December I made up my mind that I would just go and not be afraid so I booked a trip for Feb. 2007. I'm glad I did because I now think the media has greatly exaggerated the situation in Israel.

A tour does have it's advantages, but based on all you have said in your post, I think you would be happier traveling independently. But if you would like to hear more details about my tour, please let me know and I will be happy to provide that info. In the meantime you are welcome to read my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34950006
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 11:46 AM

In addition to Gate 1, try Isram Tours at www.isram.com. They do have group tours with all you probably wouldn't like, but I recall that you can do one of their scheduled tours but for extra fee hire private vehicle just for your family. On their website, you can order one of their brochures to see all of their offerings and this private care hire, if still available, would be shown. The one itinerary I saw on the Isram site is only a sample, there are other options.

Both companies also have mini-paks where you spend 3-4/days in JER or TLV or up north or down in Eilat... you can probably combine some of these and this would be their "independent" travel. Or, if you know what you want, they maybe able to simply provide a private vehicle for you to the places you wish to visit for whatever number of days.

Alternative, since JER and TLV can pretty much be done on your own, you may only need a private guide/vehicle to travel to Haifa, Kinneret or the Golan.

Note, though if late-May coincides with a Jewish Holiday, rates will be higher.

Both companies are well regarded.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:18 AM

You might want to check out Margaret Morse Tours also. We used them many years ago. ez
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Whatever you do, do NOT go with Trafalgar, do not repeat my mistake.