Is this too much in two weeks?

Apr 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Is this too much in two weeks?

I will be making my first trip to sub-Saharan Africa in September. Reading this forum has filled me with ideas and I want to do as much as I can in my time. I'm scheduled to arrive in Jo'burg mid-Afternoon on Sat 9/15. The next morning I would fly to Maun and begin a 9-day/8-night Botswana Safari (Okavango, Moremi, Savuti, Chobe) finishing up in Livingstone on Monday 9/24.

Then I would fly back to Jo'burg, stay overnight near the airport and early Tuesday morning start a 3-day overland tour to Kruger Park. We finish up back in Jo'Burg on Thursday evening. Friday Morning, I'm planning to fly to Capetown, stay overnight, then fly back Saturday to catch my 6PM flight back to the U.S.

My main question - is this too ambitious of a itinerary for 14 nights? Would it be better just to do the Botswana safari and give myself a little breathing room? I've read some posts on here that Botswana and Kruger are very different experiences, so I'm tempted to try to squeeze in both, although I'm definitely more interested in the Botswana tour. Will I be missing out if I don't visit Kruger?

Thanks everyone and I hope this wasn't too confusin.
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Sounds good to me. I wouldn't do a land tour starting in Jo'Burg however. You will waste a lot of your precious time traveling to and from JNB. It may be too late, but I would look at different options, like flying to Nelspuit and starting your tour from there.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM

I'd skip the day in Cape Town and put the airfare and time into the Kruger part of the trip. Three days for overland from JoBurg to Kruger and back doesn't give you much time for safari. If you stayed in Kruger through Saturday you could still get back for your 6 pm flight and have 4 nights instead of 2. You'd spend less time in airports and on planes and more on safari. And, with the money you save from the JNB-CPT-JNB flight you might be able to fit the flight to Nelspuit in that Tuckeg suggests. More airport/plane time, but now it's in exchange for travel time that's taking away from safari time. If you're going to Bots for 8 nights, you obviously want to see wildlife, and Kruger is a good place to do so. Three days/two nights including travel to and from means you'll spend more time getting there than being there.
Apr 10th, 2007, 10:03 PM

from Joburg-Kruger Malelane gate is around 5 hours driving. take into account getting to the airport 2 hours early, flight time 45 minutes to an hour, deplane, get rental car, drive from Nelspruit to Kruger gate another 45 minutes and you'll only be saving around an hour by flying. I mistakenly booked air (non-refundable) before checking into this for my September trip and wish I had waited and did the drive.
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM

No need to get to JNB two hours before a domestic flight. The time to pick up a rental (assuming that's what they do) would be the same at JNB or Nelspriut so that doesn't enter the equation. You would save 2.5 hours each way and be more relaxed. The best thing would be to make the connection on the day they arrive at JNB and proceed on Nelspruit and Kruger that day. I have done the drive and enjoyed it but I had lots of time on my hands.
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't fly to Cape Town for just one night. It's too nice of a city/region for a simple overnighter. I spent 3 days there and didn't get to see half of the interesting things there.

Either spend the allotted Cape Town time in Kruger, or drop Kruger and add more time to Cape Town.

If you decide to go to Kruger, try to fly there from Joburg, as others have said, to give yourself more time there.
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Personally I think a day in Cape Town is worth it but only if you can get an open jaw flight, arriving from US in Jo'Burg and returning to the US from Cape Town. That way you could fy Nelspruit to Cape Town on Thursday afternoon (SAA has a 1:35 PM flight but I didn't check your date) and get in around 4 PM. You would have from Thursday afternoon to Saturday evening to see CP. May not be workable, but if it was my trip that's what I'd be trying to arrange.