Search

Botswana flight logistics?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Botswana flight logistics?

Sorry for all of the questions; I honestly don't know how I'd be able to plan this trip without all of you! Here's the latest one. What's the minimum amount of time I should allow between my flight from Maun to Jo'burg and my flight from Jo'Burg home? My international flight from Johannesburg to the U.S. leaves at 6:40 p.m. (18:40). Would I make this flight if I took the 3:00 p.m. (15:00) from Maun that arrives in Jo'burg at 4:40 p.m.(16:40)? Or is a two-hour layover cutting it way too close, especially since the Maun to Jo'Burg flight is on Air Botswana? My international flight is on Delta, if it matters.

We have upgrades on the Delta flight home, so I don't want to miss it! Having my checked luggage arrive late on the way home is not a big concern. (In fact, I'd rather ditch my suitcase full of dirty clothes than fly coach on the way home.)
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
pippa13

"
the minimum amount of time I should allow between my flight from Maun to Jo'burg and my flight from Jo'Burg home? "

would advise 3 hours!
i flew out on 20 march and it was hell! took me almost 2 hours to check in, check my hand luggage, show my passports at least to 3 different personnel....nightmare!

"
My international flight from Johannesburg to the U.S. leaves at 6:40 p.m. (18:40). Would I make this flight if I took the 3:00 p.m. (15:00) from Maun that arrives in Jo'burg at 4:40 p.m.(16:40)? "

oops - flying out to the USA is another story than flying out to europe! thank you letters to be addressed to GWB please ;-).
honestly: i would not bet you'll make it!
taking in to consideration that you also fly air bot to jorburg and further with delta - i would rather give it more time! at least 3,5 hours prior to departure!

by the way: where are you coming from in bot? i guess you are flying out of camp and don't want to skip the morning drive. but sincerely: i would rather skip the drive than the flight!

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM

pippa13,
I don't know where you are from but don't they have capital letters in your country? Your posts are irritating and rude.
Regards-Chuck
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pippa, for the info. It was very helpful. I appreciate your all of your informative posts.

You're exactly right; we're trying to find a way to make it to Johannesburg in time for our flight without missing the morning game drive or other activity. You'd think Air Botswana would figure out the need for a 2:00 p.m. flight from Maun!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
sniktawk

Safari Chuck,

May I say I agree exactly with your sentiments!!!

Isabel 25

There are usually no choices in flights from Maun to Joburg, and they are often not on time. Therefore whether you miss yoour motning drive has no relevance, I am afraid this poster has little if anything usefull to say at anytime.
The choice is yours if you consider that you will not have time then your best alternative would be to leave Maun a day earlier and waste a day in Joburg. This problem arises often.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:59 AM

Isabel25,

It's exactly as sniktawk says...

I've got off the Maun - JNB (Air Bots)flight to watch my connecting 18:20 Qantas flight thundering down the runway.

Every person travelling to the U.S missed their connecting flight too.

It's only ever happened to me once though.

Geoff.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM
sniktawk

Thanks Geoff, at last someone who agrees with me.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:28 AM

isabel: I agree, I think it is a risk we all get stuck taking and you hope it works out. You come too far and spend too much money to miss a game drive.

I have been on the 6:40 numerous times and now on my latest trip I will have a 7:10 which helps a little. I have made it everytime thus far although on my last trip I deplaned from Botswana with just 45 mintues until the connection. I had to run but I made it and the luggage came two days later but everyother time I have made it with no worries. I guess you have to weigh the upgrades vs. a game drive -- unfortunately I'm always coach so I have no decision but I'm sure I would always pick game drive rather than having to go to Joburg early and waste a day.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:58 AM

Isabel25,

This past January - i had a 7PM connection out of JNB and had plenty of time to spare - the Air Bots flight got in on time. I did the same thing last July, again i was okay ......

Obviously, with Air Botswana - just like in Air Travel anywhere it is very unpredictable so i would recommend you to provision an extra night in JNB. Being from the USA, you should be more or less to the below par standards in air travel thesedays, with Delta probably being a few notches below horrible!!!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM

PS: Some members of family lost their baggage, though we had 2 hours and a bit in JNB. Like i said in a previous thread - it isn't the fault of Air Botswana for that to have happened. Either Emirates or the JNB baggage handling dept (Most likely the latter)
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM

PPS: Isabel, do not listen to anyone and skip any game drive!!!!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:52 AM
sniktawk

Isabel 25

You can always try to fly from your camp to Kasane and get a transfer to Livingstone. At present there are at least 3 flights a day to Joburg, all of which will get you there a lot earlier than the Air Botswana flight. Unfortunately this will probably cost more.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM

I did the early fight out of camp and did forego the morning game drive. I did not want to risk missing my international connection to the U.S. You risk getting stuck in a middle seat in coach on the next flight out, and that is if there is space. I think the chances of the Maun-JNB flight being on time is probably 50/50. Mine was late, but only by about 30 minutes, so that would have still left about 1 1/2 hours to make the connection. You'd probably make it, but...

Regarding staying an extra night in JNB, I chose not to do that because I preferred another night in camp. By doing so I fit in one extra game drive (the afternoon before my departure), which you'd miss if you take the 3:00 the day before your JNB departure. Therefore, I didn't feel like I missed a game drive at all, but rather that I fit one more into my schedule. Of course, that was an expensive game drive because a night in camp is much more expensive than a night in JNB.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM

Isabel

It's always a crap shoot with Air Botswana. I fly through Europe which generally gives me a four hour window when catching the 3pm out of Maun. Last October we checked our bags from Maun, through JNB, LHR all the way to SFO, and they made it. This meant we used the international transfer desk at JNB which was extremely quick, it maybe took five minutes to be processed with no lines at all. If I had to gather luggage and go back through regular check in the two hours would be a disaster. So much depends on the strength of your stomach, using the transfer desk and checking luggage through from Maun, the two hours should be enough, but this is Air Botch so you never know.