Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Africa Itinerary -- comments?

Seeking any comments on our SA itinerary:
Mar. 20-26 (6 nights) Cape Town
Mar. 26-28 (2 nights) Livingstone, Zambia
March 28-30 (2 nights) Blyde River Canyon
Mar. 20-Apr. 3 (4 nights) Singita

Specifically: Is driving to Kruger via Blyde River Canyon the best use of our time? The main reason we're doing it is because both my husband and I somewhat detest small flights. The less takeoffs/landings, the better. However, we'll likely only be in SA once, and I don't want to waste time on sights that are comparable to ones in the US.
Other options are: (1) add another day to Victoria Falls (we definitely want to do a full-day rafting trip, but maybe there's an additional 1-day trip we would like to add as well??)
(2) add 2 more days to Vic Falls region (subtracting a day from CapeTown) and stay in Chobe (Botswana).
Thoughts??
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Tiiimeisonmyside

Consider 4 nights in CT (do see the Cape area) and 3 nights at Singita. Driving is on the left, you know, so expect some time becoming acclimated. One day at the Falls is okay. If going to Botswana, 2 nights, and plan on using a small charter plane service your travel agent will arrange. In all you have fourteen nights. Consider adding two more; it's a long way to go to be rushed.

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 12:15 PM
sandi

Your flight from CPT to/fr Livingston will be via Victoria Falls - this will be on a 737.

Am I correct in assuming that when you return to JNB you plan to drive to Blyde River Canyon? and then drive to Singita? Well, from JNB the drive to Kruger is about 5to6-hrs (on good roads) give or take depending on whether you stop along the way. This is doable, but then once you drive to Kruger and onto Singita, you had better have rented a 4WD vehicle (which can run about $100/day with insurance) - and not the same kind of good roads getting to Singita; then your vehicle stays parked for the 4nts/5dys you're at Singita - you go out on game drives in camp vehicles.

I can understand your feeling about small planes, but the flight isn't in that small a plane. Our flight was on a 19-seater into Hoedspruit (the same returning via Nelspruit). Unless you were considering a Singita charter and in that case, it's a smaller plane.

If you really want to see Blyde River Canyon (SA's answer to the Grand Canyon)you can arrange to do this after Singita (thru a tour operator), maybe with an overnight nearby (not familiar with what accomm. are available in the area) and then fly back from either Hoedspruit or Nelspruit (dependent on flight schedules).

As to your time in Livingston/Vic Falls, it's real easy to get to Chobe - about 1-hr drive to border, then another 45-min (or less) depending on where you decide to stay, but I would do 2-nts. here (check out Chobe Chilwero, 3-yr. old camp, completely rebuilt and owned by A&K and very very lovely accommodations).

To consider any of these, you'll have to cut back on the number of days in CPT and maybe 1 day at Singita.

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Tiiimeisonmyside

Sandi makes a lot of sense. The flights in are in reasonably large planes. I could stand on the lawn at MalaMala (Kirkman's Kamp) and see the planes line up to land. They've since moved to a nearby airport instead of Kruger. You need have no worries at all. It's part of the adventure, and a safe part at that. Think of the time and money issues, and do the easiest thing - fly.

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:09 PM

To: Tiiimeisonmyside,

When were you at Kikman's camp? We are going in Sept..What did you think of it? Would love to hear about your time there.
Thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:12 PM

Sorry I can't spell. It is Kirkman's of course