Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Mala Mala looking tired and just a "big business"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a lengthy trip to SA and Botswana. My travel agent (SA based) is trying to dissuade me from booking Mala Mala.

Basically she said Mala Mala is "looking tired" unlike lodges such as Simbimbali and Vuyatela which cost much less. Furthermore, she said that those lodges are a better quality and cater to their guests while Mala Mala is just a big business and not guest oriented. She then said game viewing at Vuyatela is on par with Mala Mala. Is Mala Mala as tired and impersonal as she suggests? I would assume Rattrays is not but maybe the MM main is? I have read the critical comments on Vuyatela on this forum and Rocco's positive reviews of Sim.

Would anyone advise booking Vuyatela or Sim for three nights and then MM for two or is that overkill is SSGR since we are then going to Botswana for 10 nights
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Up to 5 nights in SA, then 10 in Botswana--what a wonderful time!

There are many on the forum who have been to Mala Mala, some of them 4 times a year, so they'll have recent updates.

But I am in your shoes, never having been to Sabi Sands. I had to decide where to stay. I picked Mala Mala for its outstanding game reputation. I'm at the main lodge because it costs less and I could get the no single supplement room.

I would be concerned if all the animals at Mala Mala were suddenly becoming "tired looking." A tired looking lodge does not bother me since my focus is on what happens outside the lodge. By the time I get to my room after an exciting day of game viewing I hope to be "tired looking" too. So I'll match the decor.

As for impersonal, I understand they keep a folder on each guest and what their food preferences are and what game they've seen to better accommodate future visits. This sounds pretty personal to me.

My bias is clearly toward outstanding wildlife viewing so the choice was easy.

Is it possible your agent has better connections/commissions with some of the other recommended properties?

Good luck in your Sabi Sands choice and have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
skimmer

Lynn's advice is spot on.

Greetz,

Johan

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM
santharamhari

Your TA is not willing to do the booking for you, you can do it directly with MM reservations.

Where in Bots are you going to?

Hari

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Good question Hari.

At the last minute it is proving to be difficult to book everywhere but there is space (just not in the right order).

The Botswana portion of the trip looks like it will go one of two ways:

3 Deception Valley
2 Xakanaxa or 2 Chiefs Camp
3 Duma Tau

or alternatively

3 Chitabe
2 Little V or V Plains
3 Duma Tau or Savuti

If you have comments let me know. The agent thinks we might be able to do Chiefs Camp because I have a four week window in which to begin the trip. April 10-May 10

We are looking at being at Mala Mala Rattarys in late April. Do you think it will be warm enough to swim? My nephew keeps e-mailing me.

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:18 AM
santharamhari

If you really do find space for next month at those camps- Chitabe, Duma tau etc etc., go for it!!!

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM

Hi Marseus

I am only going to say that MalaMala is my favourite camp, but I am a passionate gameviewer! I have been to a few camps in a few countries, and MM wins hands down!

Every lodge is a business so I find that statement quite ridiculous! She is also a business, but good businesses please their clients in order for them to return, and speaking for myself that is what MalaMala does.

I am always very comfortable at MalaMala main camp, and I absolutely love Rattray's and will be there this month for another visit - both Rattray's and Main Camp.

Regarding the swimming question, I am there usually in December/January and in the winter months, so a first for me in March/April. For the first time I went swimming in January this year as it was so hot, but I am from a very warm and humid climate, and I think I make a lot less use of those pools than most! If the nephew is young, they seem to swim even when turning blue!
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM

your travel agent is dead wrong. me and my wife have been to malamala three times. this past time we took my mother . she calles every day and asks when our we going back.the first time we were their my wife one night was a little under the weather .whin i went to dinner the first question miss rattray asked was how my wife was feeling .and i could tell she was guenelly consern. the rongers work so hard to find you the game.theirs no way you can go to malamala and not be the best trip you ever took ps.we saw more leopards than lions the first trip . i memtion this becous i hear peopla say they come back from the mara and they didnt see a leopard