Is It Safe To Swim In Lake Tanganyika?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Greystoke Mahale in late Sept.,and I want to go swimming and snorkel to see fresh water ciclids .Is there any risk of contracting schistosomiasis in this part of the lake?Any advice appreciated.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM

We were at Greystoke 2 years ago.From what we understood from the managers,one of them a veterinarian,that it was safe to swim.We snorkeled and found it to be an amazing experience.We loved it and neither of us suffered any ill effects.Perhaps the CDC could give you more scientific information.enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM
aby

toontowndoc

personally, i would trust the Camp's advice. (for such a camp, giving the wrong information about such an issue, is practically committing suiside...)

aby

P.S. waiting eagerly for your post-trip report - not about schistosomiasis ;-)
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your good advice,and yes Aby,I promise to post a report,especially after all the great insight and contacts I have received from this excellant site!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but perhaps it would be good to check with CDC about this. I found a recent paper that shows that Peace Corps Volunteers were susceptible to infection if they swam in Lake Victoria. Travellers have also been known to contract schistosomiasis after swimming in Lake Malawi.

This is not to say that you will catch it at Greystoke. I think it depends on the amount of snail hosts in the area where you will be swimming. I'm just not sure I would place all of my trust in someone saying that it's safe to swim there if I was paying them money to stay there.

Personally, if I went swimming in any slow-moving body of water in Africa, I would request a test for schisto. the next time I visited a doctor--just to be sure. It sounds like one can get a subclinical infection and not even know they have schisto. for a while. It does sound like it's easily treatable once it's detected.

I don't mean to scare anyone, I'm just sharing my personal thoughts. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/eafrica.htm

The CDC recommends swimming only in chlorinated pools in east Africa.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM

One of the Lonely Planet guidebooks discusses swimming in the lakes (sorry not home now so I can't locate it) and they were apologetic because they had taken the word of some of the lodges it was safe to swim in the lake they were located on and published that and only later found out it wasn't safe. Not sure, but think it was Lake Tanganyika. Visit a library or buy the latest version of the Loney Planet guide to this area and you can see what they say. Given their experience, I would not rely solely on what a lodge says.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM

From what I understand-- I haven't looked at this stuff for a long time- if it is a sandy or rocky beach area, talking big area you are swimming off of, thats a plus. The parasite needs reeds and grasses as part of its life cycle which includes snails to reproduce. Then if the water is moving like in a stream or river that reduces is significant in reducing any chance of the parasite living in those waters, and if it is a lake, if the water is choppy, has even some good movement, that is enough to disturb its life cycle. Like Lake Malawi, which has lots of safe places to swim, so does Lake Tanganyika.

I was wondering why crocs are not an issue though.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:38 AM

I was wondering about crocs too.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM

I stayed at Greystoke 2 years ago in August and spent a lot of time in the water. A lot of people did. I swam in the lake to cool off and even bathed there after chimp trekking with some of the biodegradeable soap they offer in the rooms. On one day we went snorkling and swimming in a part of the lake further down from the camp. The camp has snorkling equipment. The snorkling was not like the Carribean, but I saw lots of really cool fish that I had never seen before. In very clear water.

The camp regularly serves fish caught in the lake, both cooked and as sushi.

I never suffered any ill effects from the water or the meals.

There are hippos in the lake, although not near the camp or near where you snorkle. The water is very clear and on your way to the snorkle area you can see the hippos under the water from the boat. I'm not aware of any crocodiles, at least nowhere near the camp.

One of the great things about Greystoke is you sort of get a safari and beach vacation in one place. It is a magical place. You will love it.

Sure, ask the camp if the lake is safe when you arrive, but pack a swimsuit because I think it will be fine.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM

sevendown: thanks for adding that post, good info on your experience. I will be here in February with a group I'm leading and I'm very excited to put on my mask/snorkel and take to the water to observe the numerous chiclid species!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM

You're welcome Predator.

If you have not been to Greystoke, you will love it. It is one of those special places in the world. You feel like you are as far away from civilization as you can get. I felt further away there than I did in Antarctica. The camp is great. The cabins/rooms are wonderful and luxurious, the lake beautiful, the weather great, the food delicious, the beachside bar more fun than anywhere, the beach soft and white. I never wore shoes in camp. The only problem with that is that the resident warthogs in camp would often come by my room and spill the water bowl placed outside to wash your feet. Oh well, that's life.

Heading out on the boat for an afternoon cruise and swim/snorkle, looking back at the green mountains and feeling the warm breeze on your face, is heaven.

But the chimps!!! The chimpanzees are the reason you come and I wish I had been able to stay 4 months rather than 4 days. I could sit and watch the chimps for hours and hours. They are so fun and interesting, and so much like us it is scary. Get in all the chimp treks you can. You will take absolutley wonderful pictures and be absolutely amazed and thrilled. There is a reason Jane Goodall decided to spend her life here.

Enjoy every minute. (Did I say I like the place?)
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Sevendown: yes it will be my first visit here. No doubt the chimps are the reason we are going but I am so excited about the remoteness that you describe, the chimps, lake, everything! Can't wait to get there.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

I'll second predator biologist's comments-can't wait to get there! We'll be coming in from Chada Katavi and what with dry-season conditions at Katavi,I'll be anxious to take a swim in the lake-and yes Sevendown-it's mainly about the chimps,the lake is a bonus!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM

I swam a lot in the lake during my stay at Mahale Mountains - never had a problem.

The only disturbing thing on the lake was the speedboat of Greystoke, passing several times between the camp and the dhow, causing some irritations to the non-Greystoke visitors of this magical place. Some days later I learned what apparently was the reason - it was the afternoon (local time) of 9/11...
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 02:03 AM

Regarding crocs in the lake, you could take a look at what africatravelresource.com say about that. Basically that there are crocs but no-one has been eaten yet! They list Greystoke as Zoe's camp so you will have to navigate to Tanzania - mahale - accomodation - Zoe's camp - detailed description. Sorry I can't put a direct link as it is a type of pop-up. They do state no refunds for getting eaten!
I didn't manage to include Mahale in our trip. Have a wonderful time.
Julie