Huntington Lake,CA Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We enjoyed a beautiful day up at the condo in Huntington Lake, Ca. My daughter brought a friend up to teach her how to snowboard. The conditions were just perfect. The sun was shining and the snow was perfect.

I opted to stay at the condo (it's only five minutes from the Sierra Summit Ski Resort). I read half of my novel, The Last Juror by John Grisham, had a nice lunch and took a long walk.

The temps were in the 60s, so nice to finally have some spring skiing. We had to return the rental snowboard in Shaver Lake, so we could not have dinner at my favorite place, the Huntington Lodge.

We decided on The Trading Post in Shaver Lake. I started with a spinach salad which was very good and served with feta cheese and onions and a raspberry viniagrette dressing. The sourdough bread was warm and very good. A cup of broccoli soup also came with the meal.

We split the prime rib dinner which was very good, served with a baked potato and steamed vegetables. A glass of Clos du Bois Pinot Noir went well with the prime rib.

The place is very cozy with two fireplaces and rustic decor. A great place to eat after a day on the slopes. I would recommend this place to anyone in the area.

We fed the girls Foster Freeze (their choice) for dinner. Hot fudge sundaes for hubby and myself rounded out a perfect day in the Sierra Nevadas. ***kim*** www.shavaerlake.com or www.sierrasummit.com for those interested!!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM

We fed the girls Foster Freeze (their choice) for dinner. Hot fudge sundaes for hubby and myself rounded out a perfect day in the Sierra Nevadas.

You and your family do know how to live. Isn't it known as the Sierra Nevada? Thanks for sharing such an interesting trip report. I'm sure we'll all make plans to head to that area, based on your information, post haste.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:55 PM

Dear lord, I hope not. My heart sunk just reading the title of kimamom's post.

Please, if you're outside California and thinking of going for the first time.. don't.

Tahoe is a friggin' zoo now. So are Arrowhead and Shasta. So is almost every other decent lake in California. Please, PLEASE leave Shaver, Huntington and Edison alone. They're the last remaining quiet lake refuges for those of us in the southern half of CA.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Message: Dear lord, I hope not. My heart sunk just reading the title of kimamom's post.

Don't fret fdecarlo, I was far from sincere.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Just a clarification, Edison is NOT a lake, it is a campground located at Shaver Lake. One of our favorite things to do is to picnic lakeside (Shaver) at Camp Edison. It is a great place to kayak, hike, jet-ski, etc. in the summertime.

Huntington Lake is the number three sailing lake in the state. www.lakeshoreresort.com is another website to check out!! Enjoy!! ***kim***
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Er, Edison is most definitely a lake (as well as a campsite at Shaver Lake). It's above Shaver and Huntington Lakes, at ~7700 ft. We hike through there almost every summer.

http://www.edisonlake.com
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

How is the restaurant there? The Huntington Lodge is the best I have found in the area. We recently tried The Sierra House in Shaver Lake, which was OK but nothing to compare to the Huntington Lodge. ***kim***

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:26 AM

kimamom: If you're asking about the restaurant at Vermilion Valley, I don't know. We're self-contained when we hike the Pacific Crest Trail during summer and we've never used the VVR's facilities, although because of their location I doubt the food would be anything beyond basic fare. Maybe someone who's eaten there can chime in with an opinion.