Is 28 hours in Dubai enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of going the Honolulu-Hong Kong- Johannesburg (through Dubai) route to Africa this year and Emirates has a stop-over in Dubai option. Flight gets to Dubai at 5 am and would leave at 10:30 the next day. Is that enough time? Will also stop over in Hong Kong, might as well.
(don't know where in Africa I'm going yet, just know I'm going!)
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM
santharamhari

If emirates.....wont it be easy for you to go....Honolulu-JFK-Dubai-JNB?

That is a fantastic flight JFK-Dubai....

To answer your question....yes, 28 hours plenty....and i have to be in Dubai for 3 days on work in March, so will be in a better position to answer your question...if u hv specific questions, let me know before March 16th.....

Hari

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:17 PM

That's enough time to see quite a bit of Dubai's main attractions- Gold souq in Deira, a dhow ride across the creek to Bur Dubai and Bastakiya (traditional buildings), Jumeirah beach area, Burj Al Arab and Souq Madinat Jumeirah, the Mall of the Emirates (Ski Dubai), and if time a sunset desert safari.

Have fun

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:39 PM

That is plenty of time in Dubai.
and the Emirates flight and Dubai airport are the greatest in the world.

Enjoy.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:41 PM

It depends what you want to do - personally I prefer longer. There is so much to see and experience and I love wandering around the old city and souks, strolling on the waterfront and soaking up the atmosphere. For example, the museum is absolutely incredible and would take around four hours to see properly. The desert safari leaves late afternoon and gets you back around 10pm and if you go to Mall of the Emirates that will take you half a day - it is massive with lots of attractions and some great restaurants and shops. You can do a half day city tour which would take in most of the attractions and then maybe do the desert safari but the following day you would have to be at the airport around two hours before departure - say 8.30 so that doesn't give you time to do anything.

Enjoy - I am sure you will. It is one of my favourite stop over places.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

thanks all! Hari, I'm trying to avoid the mainland U.S. this next trip and since I've never been to Hong Kong or Dubai, thought it would be nice add-ons. I did the HNL-JFK-JNB the first trip to Africa and it was just too long on a plane for me. Take notes of the highlights when you're there.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
santharamhari

i will, Dennis...

That's 3 looooooong flights......Honolulu-Hong Kong; HK-Dubai will be pretty long 8ish hours and then Dubai-JNB atleast 8 hrs and a bit.....

If i were you, i would do a stop at one of the two cities this trip and save the other for next time.....

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Hey guys - come to Australia and then you will know what long flights are!! 8 hours to me is a really comfortable short flight!!!!

Happy flying to both of you!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Hope you'll post a trip report inc. Dubai because we are stopping off there for 48hrs enroute to Africa in late Oct. The tripadvisor forum has lots of info re Dubai.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Dennis, you can see a lot in Dubai in 28 hours. My recommendation would be to stay in Deiar Dubai, the old section, which has affordable hotels, and you can walk to the creek, the souks, museum (which you can see in 30 minutes) and Bastakia (old quarter). Personally, I wouln't stay in Jumeirah -- isolated and sterile and you can't walk anywhere. If you want to see Jumeirah, head there for a drink at night (you can make a reservation for drinks at Burj al Arab, and have a camel mojito in the SkyBar).

You can also see a lot of HK in 28 hours (not sure how long your HK stopover will be). If you have time, the hydrofoil from HK to Macau is an interesting excursion.

Definitely take the Dubai stopover -- even if only for 28 hours.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:00 AM

first sentence = Deira Dubai
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Tropical Gal~I looked into flying the Australia way but it's about $1000 pp more than going through Hong Kong.
Thanks Michael!