Major flooding in South Luangwa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Latest Robin Pope newsletter by Jo Pope (dated 5 Feb 2007) has a complete story on flooding in Zambia, South Luangwa Valley. Here's quoting a bit of the last of her report -
"I stopped off at Kapani to have another “crisis management” meeting with all the other operators. They have been staying at Kapani these last four days. Again – a great camaraderie atmosphere. I do wish that I was there with everyone.

So now what. The river is dropping – another half a meter last night and we are now planning the clear up. Of course there will a ton of silt to wash out of the rooms but it will not take long. But the kit is all dry. They had found every high place for storage – including putting the office files etc into the ceiling of the office! We are watching the weather forecast like it was some amazing soap opera of course.

Robin was in the Valley when the last flood happened. In fact it happened twice in the last century – 1934 and 1978. I asked him about the effects. The lagoon systems will be effected, some news ones perhaps and even places where the river will break through narrow gaps. And of course the lagoons will be very full this coming dry season. The silt that is left behind will replenish the soil. There will be changes in areas that we know so well. It will be interesting to see it when the water has subsided. And when will that be? Robin said it can drop like a brick. Let’s hope so."

Sorry, I don't know how to post to a link with her complete report and pictures. Someone else? (But I'll work on it).

regards - tom

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Here is link -
http://www.robinpopesafaris.net/itsm...tent/index.php
regards - tom
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Thanks for posting, Tom. I don't always get around to looking at 'It's Monday'.

John
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Sean at Luangwa River Lodge said they are finally drying out and the river is dropping for now.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM
santharamhari

Thanks.....Dennis, isnt it wild dog season in the SL in a couple of months?

Hari

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM

true Hari, but we saw them in October...
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM
santharamhari

Ok, Dennis.....lucky you.....

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:38 AM

There is no season for dogs in the SLV.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM

ATTA Statement from the Luangwa Safaris Association 4th February 2007

The Luangwa Valley is experiencing extreme high water levels which are affecting all the operators in the South Luangwa. The park is inaccessible and camps and lodges are closed at present. We expect this to be a short term problem and will advise everyone as soon as we have more news. Thank you for your understanding and continued support.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:07 AM

A reply today from my email to Luangwa River Lodge:

Unfortunately we are experiencing extreme high water levels in Luangwa Valley right now which is affecting all operators - all camps and lodges as well as the national park are officially closed. Until the water levels drop and we can make an assessment I am unable to know when we will be operational again - however I would very much doubt if any operators will be operational again by March as most are still under water. Terribly sorry about this and hope that this does not deter you from visiting Zambia either now or later in the year.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM

And another from Sean at Luangwa River Lodge that I received this a.m. And to think that the beginning of Oct. we were driving across the Luangwa River every morning and evening in the Land Rover. I expect that the worst of the impact is on all the employees of the camps and their families and extended families who depend so heavily on the tourists. But Sean had told us that the water had come up essentially as high just a couple of years ago, and when it went down everything was fine again.

"Hi Jim

Unfortunately it is a problem for all operators – we are all currently non operational and park is officially closed

Mary Ann and kids are in Lusaka now and the rest of us are all here pulling together – not too much that we can do right now until the water level drops – it is currently at pool level at Luangwa River Lodge but everyone is in the same boat quite literally

Hope that you guys are well

Warm regards and thanks for your concerns

Sean"

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I got the same from Sean, hope they will all be dried out soon! I was there last March and one day the river was up to the grass area, and two days later the water dropped about 10 feet, amazing! Wishing all the operators and people in the Luangwa area good luck!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Some photos here of the floodwaters from Shenton Safaris: http://www.kaingo.com/photo_newsletters/August2006.asp

Ignore the August reference, it's actually updated.

John
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:33 PM

John- isn't it just incredible the view of the bridge? I feel for the people in the villages and everywhere in the area. I'm sure Flatdogs and others in the direct vicinity of the bridge/river are completely under water.
As a sidenote, there's massive flooding along the Zambezi also, near Mozambique with loss of life, villages, crops etc.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Dennis,

Fantastic...except for those adversely affected of course. As you say, you have to feel for them. I've not been to SL yet, but the bridge photo reminds me of the wet season in the Northern Territory. In 'the dry', you have these road bridges many metres above the water; then in 'the wet' (now, as in Zambia), the floods can lap at the underside of the bridges or even surge over them, and crocs go 'shopping' in the towns. Actually, we're looking at very similar latitudes in SLNP and the upper part of the NT.

John
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I feel bad for all involved and hope they recover quickly.

Out of curiousity, if you had a trip scheduled there, does trip insurance cover this?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM

force majeur is normally an exclusion, the wonderful insurance companies grin and you cry.
UNLESS you were able to negotiate that clause out of the contract