info on camps-Mombo & Mashatu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Botswana in Sept. I have heard that Mombo camp is expensive but great and Mashatu is a unique and great camp for a cycling safari and not too expensive
Anyone have any info on these camps as I have to book them immediately.
Thanks,
Jim
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I've been to Mashatu Tent Camp (no cycling). If you put Mashatu in the search field and look at the post titled "Chitwa Chitwa & Mashatu", you'll find a brief description of my stay at Mashatu.

The photos I took there are at http://www.pbase.com/cjw/south_africa. Most of the photos in that album are at Mashatu, including the leopard. Most of the animals in the tall grass and the warthogs were from South Africa.

I remember the managers at the camp told us some tales of the cycling safaris. I don't remember specifically what they were but remember being amazed.

Good luck planning your trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:36 AM

Mombo Camp is lovely (I returned very recently from a second trip to Little Mombo, the first trip being in 2001).

Both Little and Main Mombo are basically the same with only difference in number of guests in each.

Although the tents are lovely the main attraction for us is the game viewing. We find it to be ONE of the best camps for all round excellent viewing. Particularly good for day time leopard sightings (we spent hours with different leopards on both trips). Also wonderful is the view from the camp itself. Food has gone up several notches since the current chef took over - it's a step above most WS camps. But food isn't a decider for me on this kind of holiday. It can be on others.

Are you only going to visit two camps? What's the rest of your itinerary?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:51 AM
DJE

Also had a wonderful experience at Mombo camp in July '03. Have to agree with Kavey regarding the game viewing, food, etc. We also saw lots of wildlife and quite diverse. All aspects of this camp were just terrific for us during our stay and of the 3 Botswana camps we stayed at, I probably enjoyed my time there the most. Just hanging around camp ( if you have time ) is also a great experience because of the lovely setting. Good luck on your trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Between us we have experienced a wide range of camps and if you're looking for alternatives you can find lots of information here.

I also really liked Tubu Tree and Jack's Camp - excellent accommodation, guiding and staff and activities were excellent. Savuti was great for wild dogs in particular. Jacana is a magical water camp (and I also loved Little Vumbura which was our water camp last time).