Opinions on these hotels/guesthouses

Jul 19th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Opinions on these hotels/guesthouses

So far, here are our accomodations- please comment:

Winelands- Plumwood Inn- although I'm not thrilled with paying a rack rate they quoted me.

Mossel Bay- African Oceans Manor (R450 per suite)

I'm trying to find accomodations for our 2 nights in Knysna and our 2 nights in PE/Addo.

For Knsyna- The luxury suites at Overmeer are nice- but I'm partial to staying in a log chalet or something more akin to Inyathi or Eden's Touch. I noticed that Inyathi didn't get good reviews here- but the price seems so cheap. Is there a good alternative?
We liked TONQUANI LODGE, but that's a big increase in price from Inyathi.

For PE/Addo- I have the same feelings. I would rather stay in a game park or within a game reserve than staying at another "pretty" guesthouse. While Lemon Tree looks nice, it's really not our style. I'm basing that soley on pictures of the accomodations- we aren't partial to floral comforters on beds,etc.
Any opinions on Thunzi Bush Lodge?
Accomodations within Addo or Schotia?
We love the look of Woodall Addo, but the price is too steep for us.

Thanks in advance!
Jul 19th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Hi Jen

I really enjoyed our 3 nights at the Plumwood Inn. The accommodation was very comfortable. The rooms are not large but are nicely decorated and furnished. We were in Vineyard which I liked a lot. The central living area (lounge, dining room etc) is beautiful and there's a little pool and patio too. Roel and Lucienne are great hosts. We'd get back from a day out and be offered tea or coffee. Breakfast was not just the normal selection of fruit, cereal, yogurt and cooked breakfast but also included some freshly baked goodies such as hot croissants or the most wonderful scones. Wonderful! I don't know what time of year you are travelling. We travelled in low season and were able to get an excellent rate (about 30% off) but, if it's high season I would imagine they would have no trouble filling their rooms at their normal rate. The location is also great as it's at the edge of town overlooking vineyards and yet only 2 minutes walk from Le Bon Vivante, Topsi's, Delicious and other excellent restaurants.

Re Knysna:
We stayed at Inyathi too. We did like our log cabin - we stayed in number 6 which is at the top of their steep lot and furthest from the main road. BUT we were not impressed with the security - the door was a double one, completely glass, loose enough that you could pull it open an inch or two even when locked and just didn't strike us as very secure hence we ended up carrying valuables with us the whole time. ALSO we noticed in a local estate agent window that it is on sale, so it may not be under the same management when you get there. Breakfasts were standard though I don't know where they buy their bacon - it was the only bacon in South Africa I could not stomach. It used to be a craft village so the chalets were not originally built as accommodation and they have been cleverly adapted. We feel that it was a good choice for the price as the size of chalets is good and the location is central BUT if you have a higher budget I'd opt for something more secure and less flimsy. Also they unfortunately market at backpackers and although it was almost empty in June if it's summer it will be heaving with young, loud partyers, I reckon. The other downside is that central Knysna is a bit of a pit really - a real backpackers central. Outskirts are much nicer. That said the excellent La Loerie restaurant is almost opposite. Thanks for that tip Selwyn! Overmeer was too expensive for our tastes and Inyathi worked for us, we found it comfortable and quirky and well priced. BUT for the same price we stayed a night in the Storms River Guest Lodge which is a whole step above in terms of accommodation and comfort and breakfast and everything so... bargains can be found in SA!

Re Addo we were VERY happy that we stayed IN the park. We opted for a standard ensuite self-catering chalet. The chalet is HUGE, the beds perfectly comfortable, the kitchen well equipped and the bathroom clean and well sized. The decor doesnt have the charm of a nice guest house but it's a very comfortable place to stay and nice to fall asleep and wake to the sounds of animals.

Jul 19th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Kavey- thanks as always.
Thank you for the tip on Inyathi- noisy backpackers are probably not our cup of tea.
I've been reading up a lot on this board and another board, and it sounds like Knysna may not be the right place for us to spend 2 nights. Staying at Storms River appeals much more to me than Knysna, so maybe I should adjust my itenerary to just spending a day in Knysna, but overnighting 2 nights in at Stormsriver.

Do you think going from Mossel Bay to Stormsriver is unfeasible? Or should I just do one night in Knysna and one night in Stormsriver?

Jul 19th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Knysna town centre didn't appeal to us BUT the area itself is one of astounding natural beauty and it's worth stopping here to take a boat out to the heads, a drive around some of the rather elegant suburb towns such as Belvedere and a tour of the area. Plettenberg Bay is often touted as an alternative but we didn't see the appeal at all. Just a beach resort. Pretty beach to be sure but...

Storms River is also a lovely area. You can either stay within Tsitsikamma Forest National Park (their rest camp is right on the coast and the location really is very special) or in Storms River Village which is just a small village with a few stores and guest houses in a forest setting. We really liked the Storms River Guest House (tell them I sent you as I chatted to the owners via email recently) and it was handy for the Tree Tops Canopy Tour and other adventure activities.

If Selwyn can suggest a place in Knysna that is priced nearer to Inyathi than Overmeer then it would be worth a night in my opinion, possibly 2.

Storms River is only worth a night or two if you're intending to do one or more adventure activity and/ or spend some time in the park itself.

Jul 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Kavey- Sorry to pester you, but I seem to be completely enamored with your trip report and dining and accomodations and want to do something similiar.

We are looking at these options in the main rest camp at Addo. I presume one of them is what you choose to do.

Semi-detached chalets: This type of accommodation can only sleep two persons. The chalets have two single beds (together), air conditioning, shower, toilet and hand basin. Each unit has a kitchenette with bar-fridge, 2-plate stove, microwave oven, cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils.

Chalet no. 15: This chalet has two single beds in an open plan area with a kitchen, shower, toilet and hand basin. The unit also has air conditioning.

Cottages: Cottages can only sleep two persons. Each unit has two single beds (together), a roof fan, shower, toilet and hand basin. The kitchenette is equipped with a bar-fridge, 2-plate stove, microwave oven, cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils.

Big question- where did you get food or did you just eat in the restaurant?

Search this Thread