Search

confused about botswana

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confused about botswana

I need some help with an itinerary for August, 2008. Our main focus is wildlife viewing. In the Linyanti area, what's best- Selinda,Duma Tau,or something else? Also, how would you compare Xigera vs. Little Vumbura? Last question- would you go to MalaMala or Londolozi and where would you stay?
I'd appreciate any help!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM

I liked both Zibalianja in Selinda and Duma Tau in Linyanti. The quality of wildlife viewing was fairly similar. Luck with dogs in Selinda, but very few ele. Many more ele plus lion and leopard in Linyanti. One great cheetah sighting in Selinda, none in Linyanti. But that is really all luck.

I liked the 6-bed camp of Zib and its waterhole with a hide. Selinda Camp in Selinda is bigger fancier than Zib.

In that same general area is Savuti Camp, where I have not been. There is supposed to be a good ele viewing spot from a woodpile. An exterminator I met last August, who goes to every Botswana camp, told me his favorites were Duba Plains and Savuti Camp.

I was at Vumbura last August and was at a mobile delta camp not far from Xigera several years ago. LV would offer more game viewing because the area is not just for water activities. The delta camp I was at, near Xigera, was mostly mekoro and some walking. Lovely, relaxing, some nice photos, but not near the game viewing of Vumbura, which enjoyed daily lion activity including a lion kill of a baby buffalo. Also good kudu shots and one sable bull. Others saw leopard and cheetah. At LV you automatically get a short boat ride over to camp and can do additional water options as well.

I chose Mala Mala for my only Sabi Sands camp for a first visit in late June of this year. I am staying at Main Camp for cost reasons. If you are going alone, you may be able to get the no-single- supplement-room, which I did (through Eyes on Africa) and it further reduced the cost.

Good to be planning so early.

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:27 AM

You would be unlucky not to get good game-viewing at any of the camps in the Linyanti region. Some swear by Savuti because of its woodpile hide; some love Duma Tau; I and others swear by Zibalianja and Selinda (I prefer Zib because it's one of the smallest permanent camps in Botswana); and people like Hari can't get enough of Lebala and Lagoon in the Kwando concession in the general Linyanti region.

Lynn is right when she speaks of luck. She was short of elephants at Selinda, but had good wild dog sightings. So she was unlucky with elephants...but ironically, not lucky with the dogs (it would be more correct to say one is unlucky if dogs are <i><b>not</b></i> seen at Zib and Selinda. Ellies, wild dogs and cheetah are three of Selinda's strong points, and I usually have plenty of sightings of all three. I've also had good lion sightings there-- prides exceeding 20 on two safaris, though numbers have been lower in recent years.

John
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:02 AM

if you want a nice quieter safari go to zib. it is more personal and only 4 tents. it is real classic safari style as well. selinda is more luxurious but larger at the same time. if you are going to be there in the dry season you will see plenty of ele's. duma tau and savuti are great but one thing is that you will share the property with quite a few lodges so the possibility of travelling to more sightings spotted by others and meeting a few more vehicles, but not many. selinda and zib share the same concession and no other vehicles can come onto that concession!
wrt to mala mala and londolozi, they are both so fantastic, but i would say londoz for the 'feel'. if you go there you will see what i mean.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM

altmanj0909
I normally do not post here anymore but I would like to post this one as it seems a lot of folk are really ignorant about Africa.
You want GAME VIEWING. You will get game viewing wherever you go and please realise that at the end of the day it is the luck of the draw. We don't have fences holding our wildlife to a particular area. You are going in August which is good but at Xigera you will see zip as it is water camp and you will enjoy the beauty of the Okavango on the water. As for Linyanti and Selinda, I certainly cannot put them on display for you as they are wild so once again its the luck of the draw. Mala Mala or Londolozi, well I have to say the same, this is NOT disneyland whereby you choose your activity. This is Africa and we do not control the wildlife but I will go further to say you choose your level of accommodation and we will do our best to give you every possible wildlife sighting.
Think
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Lots of answers but if the confusion persists, just flip a coin. Luck will be with you at some point every day because these are all good locations full of surprises. I'd gladly take an August itinerary of any combo of the places you or others on this thread have mentioned. Well, every place except Disney Land, that is.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM

Listen to Lyn. She Knows
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Lyn is a very well traveled person in Africa but NOT a local. Lyn you have had a few .... what evers.... so what.
I leave this post to you.
Happy Easter.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM

You are right I am not a local of Africa. But I hope that does not mean I have to go to Disney Land, does it?

I think I would need a few whatevers to handle that place.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM

October 2005 We were in the Linyanti area. Kings Pool was wonderful with its Hide at the Watering Hole. The food excellent. Guide,infact the only female guide in 3 camps, great. Rooms amazing amazing amazing.
Jao in the OKDelta and Handa Island, really took our breath away. From my experience and many friends, Singita, any of them, is the way to go in Kruger.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Chewey

I'm guessing your guide was Chantel?

I'll throw in my two cents for Kings Pool, but I can always be relied upon to choose the luxury option.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Jao and Kings Pool are 6-paw camps and therefore more expensive than the properties Altmanj listed in Botswana. I have seen wonderful elephant pictures from the Kings Pool hide. Singita is around twice the cost of Mala Mala or Londolozi, according to e-gnu.com.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses! one more question- does anyoneknow a good travel agent that deals with Wlderness and the other better camps? Do any of them discount the rates?
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM

bookmarking