Indian Ocean islands

May 21st, 2001, 09:55 AM
John

Indian Ocean islands

We are contemplating a tour through some of the island countries in the Indian Ocean - Mauritius, Seychelles, Reunion, Comoros, Madagascar. Does anyone have (fairly recent) experiences with these places to share? We'd likely be there in December/January 01/02. Thanks in advance!

May 22nd, 2001, 12:04 PM
AA

I have been to the Maldives and it was beautiful beyond imagination! The drawback is the terrible humidity, but life is a trade-off. Check in to it!
Have a great time!
AA

Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:44 AM
Mara

We just returned from Mauritius and Reunion. Prevoiusluy we visited all the islands you mentioned except Comoros. Mauritius is the place to go

Aug 29th, 2001, 07:06 AM
annelouise

Hi John,

I went to Mauritius in March and I have to say it was the most amazing place i have ever been too. The people were so friendly and couldn't do enough to help, the food was fantastic and even though I live in France I have to say it rivalled some of the best restaurants I have been to here and the beaches were out of this world. If you have anything specific you would like to know please email me directly otherwise have a wonderful time!!

Dec 16th, 2001, 10:02 AM
john

We went to MAURITIUS only stayed
near airport at the COCO BEACH, two
years ago. The BELLE MARE hotel besides
is more quiet. COCO is more for families. I would suggest also THE
RESIDENCE hotel nearer airport. At
LA REUNION we stayed at the lovely
MERCURE hotel above STDENIS. Try www.
simplymauritius.com for hotels. Beaches
are better in MAURITIUS but some are nice in the COMMORES. Try AIR AUSTRAL
airline between islands and
not the AIR MAURITIUS ATR's.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
Helen Hodgkinson

My husband and I want to go to Maruritius next year. Where are the best beaches, abd scenery, and what is the best time of year?
Pleased to hear your replies, thankyou.

Jun 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM

January is the Cyclone season in Mauritius, which has more miles of beautiful beach than any Island I can think of and this includes the South Pacific and the Caribean In the Comores the lack of beaches there is emphasized when the locals can only play soccer when the tide is out. The island is famous for its Ylan-Ylang trees for they provide the essence that makes perfume "stick" oh and the Volcano.

In Madagascar, you can see the lemurs in the city park on an island in the lake. Saves you major time and trouble going to the Souh East of the island to see them. Do visit Ambohimanga, you will love it- country palace of the Queen. Avoid the so called beach resort in the north Nossi Be - once touted unbelieveably as the "Tahaiti" of the Indian Ocean. The waters are very shallow and one needs to take a boat a long way out to manage a swim.

Mauritius is beautiful, the diverse people charming and very bright, an unusual combination. It maybe the new Hong Kong of the Indian Ocean. Great to drive around, something not so easily done in Mahe, Seychelles where its difficulty to find a place to stop without blocking the road. Seychelles islands are a mixture of granitic and corraline forms scenery producing. dramatic scenery. Praslin and Cousin islands are a must and father afiel,d for the ornithologist - the aptly named Bird Island. Your itinerary is very ambitios and expensive. suggest you make two trips rather than waste too much time logistically. Good Luck.
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:55 PM

In case you haven't done it, go to individual countries in this forum. For example, select "Madagascar" and see what visitors have written about it. In looking through that section, though, I have coincidentally discovered that my trip report from November, 2008, has been removed. I did not know that the Fodor authorities did such things when there is no profanity or vulgarity, no name calling, and, as far as I know, nothing objectionable. I hope that this Board hasn't gotten like some other travel venues that publish only puff pieces. ZZ P.S. If anyone finds my post, let me know.
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM

Curious why Travpro resurrected an 8-year-old post...?
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM

I feel bamboozled. Thank you, julia1, for a question that brings out the date of the original posting. It completely escaped me. ZZ