Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Help Needed...which Pacific Islands for 2 weeks in March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My husband and I (late 20's) want to spend 2 weeks in the Pacific Islands this March, but can't decide on which islands. We know we have to narrow the trip down to 2-3 max, but which ones?

We have been to Tahiti (Moorea) before and loved it due to it's beautiful lagoon, beaches and that you can get on a moped and discover various beaches/hills. Would like to discover somewhere else.

We've been suggested Fiji and New Caledonia by different people. But having looked at some posts, Cook Islands also look like a great option?

How would you split your time if you had 2 weeks? Any advice from those that have been there much appreciated!!

Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 01:54 AM

I would be looking for a Melanesian country (like Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, or New Caledonia), rather than another Polynesian one like Cook Islands. The cultures and the geographical features are quite different, with the Melanesian islands being generally much bigger, and the cultures egalitarian rather than monarchical.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 02:02 AM

Cook Islands is very much a lie around on a beach kind of place. Muri Beach and Aitutaki are best spots. Can be pricey.

Long time since I've been to Vanuatu or New Calidonia, but I would rate Vanuatu above NC or Fiji. I have heard that a sailing trip in Fiji in the Yasawa Group is very worthwhile.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ozziegiraffe, that's really good advice and hadn't thought of it that way.

Hereandtherenz, thanks for the tips and think will aim for Vanuatu, NC or Fiji as keen not to just lie on the beach!