India Safari Pics As Requested!!!

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India Safari Pics As Requested!!!

I never posted pics after my India safari. Some of you guys requested them and I never posted. Here they are: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8BZMWzJw4aMMc

The tiger pics are a little blurry. The video is better but I don't have that online.

This trip was January 2007 and we went to Varanasi (Taj), Dehli (The Imperial), Agra (Oberoi), Jaipur (Oberoi), and Ranthambore (Oberoi).
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM

Very nice Andrea! Enjoyed the people pics and the Taj Mahal.
How'd you do on the radio rating thing you had us do awhile back?
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Oh you're so sweet! I have been busy doing lots of tv. You can check out my website (and video clips) at www.DrAndrea.net There is even an O'Reilly Factor video from a few weeks ago posted.

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM

very nice pics,
even blurry tiger pics are still tiger pics
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:45 PM
ComfyShoes

Very nice. Thanks.

May I inquire if you used a travel agency, if yes which one, how long was the trip, what really stood out in India over your other trips, and would you do it again if you had a chance to.

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Love the baboons all lined up too! Your photos bring back fond memories of our trip to India years ago-but no safari portion.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...My husband took 600 pics!!! So I just put a sampling up. Here is the breakdown of trip:
2nts-dehli
1nt-varanasi
2nts-agra
2nts-jaipur
2nts-rathambore

It was definitely a lot of running around. We had private guides and a private driver the entire time, but if you had the time I would recommend at least an extra three days. I booked the trip using Tricia Townsend of Protravel in NYC. She has planned four trips so far for me in four years (France/Mauritius, South Africa, India, Kenya/Tanzania/Rwanda). She is rated top by Conde Nast and New York Magazine. I actually have never met her...just spoken on the phone.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

India is no doubt a difficult trip. Being a little bit of a germphobe, it took a few days to get accustom to the Indian way. The first day I broke down in tears because everything is so overwhelming (the filth, poverty, begging, etc.). However, you acclimate very quickly. The shopping helped!!! I shopped so much...jewelry, clothes, shoes, etc. It was amazing!!! India was my husband's favorite trip. I would put it second after South Africa. However, I do have a strong desire to go back. Both of us would like to return to South India. The problem is that we wanted to return to Africa in 2008 and we are supposed to be making babies (I'm 29, he is 36) soon. So I am not sure when we would be able to return. India is definitely a rough trip but it is worth it. The luxury accomodations are amazing too! The food was great! We never got sick once. In some ways, I feel that I appreciated it more when I returned home. The country is hard to comprehend while you are there...it requires a lot of reflection.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Dr Andrea,

I wish you visited the South of India. Very different to the north and give it a chance!

However, all of the hotels you have mentioned are either on par or better than most establishments in most western countries. The quality of food here is better than in most towns in the USA (except for NYC or CA)

Rgds,
Hari
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 06:22 AM
ComfyShoes

Interesting response, Andrea. I think western travelers either get India or don't. It appears you are in the former category.

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM

It sounds to me like she "got it".
It just takes time and reflection.

By the way Doc you and your hubby are in the position my wife and I are in. I am 40 she is 31 and we are also supposed to be making little ones, yet I would love to go to South India.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM

For those with a ticking clock I'd definitely suggest getting your trips into India before the baby making starts as it's not an idea environment to travel to with a young baby. Before anyone starts at me with the "millions of Indian babies manage just fine" please let me point out that one's body does have a stronger immunity to the local germs/ bugs than a foreigner's body. So, anyway, either do a trip before making minis or you'll need to wait until they are a bit older.

My parents are Indian so all my family (except parents, sister and a couple of aunts and uncles in Florida) are in India. We went regularly throughout my childhood. I love India! But I don't think it's an idea trip to make with a small one.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM

i would love to see India and I thoroughly enjoyed your photos. The people pics are interesting. Is the air as smoggy as it looks?
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM

I also wouldn't recommend any trip the requires shots and anti-malaria tablets while one is trying to conceive
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Wayne, good point.
Would be worth checking which anti-malarials are most quickly completely absent from your body after a trip.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 06:58 PM

The air in New Delhi is indeed VERY SMOGGY!!! Awful!!!

But, LA is pretty bad too.....

Waynehazle: I think you will love South India. Kerala is a must do. The big towns Chennai, Bangalore you can give them a miss......however, the food all over is fantastic!!! For one, it is fresh!!!

Rgds,
Hari