Il Moran or Bataleur?

Jan 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Il Moran or Bataleur?

What are the differences - both positive and negative?
We are going October 2007
Thanks for you help.
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM

My wife and I stayed at most camps in the Mara, included the two in question!

Neither makes our top 5 list anymore!

Is there a reason why you selected these two?
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

We are also considering Little Governors close to the ballooning and river. Where do you suggest? or I guess I should ask which are your top three?
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:26 PM

Ok chsl, I'll bite, what are your top five camps in the Mara and why?
regards - tom
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:12 AM

And why are Il Moran and Bataleur not on the list, Eben?
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
sandi

For as many camps/lodges out there, you'll find twenty-fold number of people who find one or the other rates above one or the other.

There are those who find their accommodations at the Serena Lodges is as good as a stay at the Waldorf-Astoria; while others feel they're overnighting at a Motel-6.

List all the luxury properties in Kenya or Tanzania and we'll all find different listing as our Top-10, for as many reasons.

There are those who will only stay in a place that appears on someones Top-100 list, their friend's stayed there, the price is right, the location inside the Triangle, the location outside the Triangle, on the east side of the Mara, on the West side of the Mara, they have Range Rovers over Land Rovers, with a river view, with a fence or not, on private land the night game drives, for privacy, for attention, flush loos or chemical toilets, ensuite loos or a short walk to get there, regular showers or bush showers, electricity or solar power, number of outlets in tent, 6/tents vs 10/tents or 20/tents or wherever... get the picture?

Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

still, i am wondering what are your top 3-5
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM

me too
regards - tom
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM

Sorry guys! I did not mean to give an impression that I know the definite top 5 camps in the Mara!

As a couple, Carol and I have our personal list of favorites and there are many personal reasons why these are our favorites at this time in our lives! Unless we know someone very well, it is impossible to give him/her the perfect list!

For example, fenced camps are not near the top of our list but if we had small children our views will obviously change!

I was actually hoping Chewey would tell us more about his/her preferences so we could offer suggestions rather than doing a tale-of-the-tape comparison between two very different camps that we know rather well!
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM

Sorry chsl, you are not off the hook yet. What are your top 5 Mara camps and you my preface it by saying "In my opinion .. " of course if your reasons are just TOO personal , well, we will respect your privacy
regards - tom
ok, if you insist, I'll name mine first, Little Governors. Of course I should add it is the ONLY Mara camp I have been to. Matter of fact, in all of Kenya also!!!!
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM

We really enjoyed Little Governor's Camp. I have not stayed at Il Moran but my impression is you pay more for a larger, more nicely furnished tent and free sodas compared with the magic of staying next to a marsh with a hippo grazing outside your tent at night.

We loved it.

If had to pick, would pick Il Moran because on the east side of the Mara River, easier to access more of the Mara from there I believe.

My humble thoughts,

Kevin from California
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM

Would pick Il Moran over Bataleur. I would pick Little Governors over both. Another factor, from LG can depart on game vehicles from either west or east side of the Mara River.

Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM

True, when we stayed at LG Sept 2006 we departed from both sides of the river. But the normal routine was to depart from the other side, that is, we boated across the river to the waiting Land Rover. (And crossed back again after the drive). I asked where we could see Honey the cheetah and her cubs and the answer was they were on the LG camp side of the river (also the balloon side). Our driver would have to drive the Land Rover a good ways to a bridge and come back on the LG side. I said good, let's do it. The next day we found Honey, her three cubs on a mound, classic pose, Honey kill a gazelle (?) and her cubs eat it, chase off vulchers and meander away. The BBC was also there filming, FWIW
regards - tom
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:48 PM

I like sandi's response, but it's such a personal thing that anybody listing their top 2, 5 or 100 would need to explain their preferences. For example, any camp with a fence around it would not appear on any list of mine so that rules out Bataleur I think . My personal prefences in Kenya? The two mobile camps I had with Cheli & Peacock just outside the Mara and Samburu NRs, because they were very small, secluded, private and felt liking camping in the wilderness.

John
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:22 PM

Thread Hijack Warning:

Cary999:

Following is link to my video of Honey in August when she had four cubs:

http://videoegg.com/video/hyxRW

Pretty amazing she has a name and has a following on the Internet. I for one have tried to periodically try to find out how they are doing.

Kevin from California
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM

Hi Kevin,
Nice video. Story, if I remember it all, is she had 5 cubs, one died naturally. (Born when ?). Sometime after you did video a hyena got one of the 4. She then moved the 3 cubs to the other side of the Mara where we saw her, about Sept 18th 2006. They were thinking she would probably move back over to the first side. Has she, do you know?
We stayed with her and the cubs for around 3 hours, and also got a bunch of nice video and still photos.
regards - tom
Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM

Tom:

Last I heard they were on the Kichwa Tembo side (west side of the Mara) where we saw them. thanks for replying. Have you posted any photos?

Kevin
Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM

Yep, Lil Gov photos. No videos. I'm sure you will remember the steps up from the river, both sides twice daily. The tents and that wonderful buffet lunch. A few photos of Honey and kids. We got to see small river crossing, about 30 zebras and 100 wildebeast. It's at -
http://www.kodakgallery.com/tdgraham...ttle_governors
I did a bunch of words trip report on same at Fodors -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34881694

Hope these links work, let me know if not. (I'll try and check this posting).
regards - tom
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Here is the trip. Il Moran or Little Governors?
If our friends join us then probably IM.

Masai Mara: 3 nights one of the governor's camps
Norfolk 1 night
Rwanda: 2 nights hopefully the new governors camp
Kigali Novotel 1 night
Tanzania: 3 nights Sebora Plains Tented Camp
Crater: 1 or 2 nights NCLodge or Ng Farmhouse
Mahale: 3 nights either Nkungwe or Greystoke
Norfolk 1 night
Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:25 AM

Cheweyhead:

Eben expresses a preference for LG over Il Moran in his report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34932659

Tom:

Thanks for the links to the photos and trip report.

Kevin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO