Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

I know I know - wrong board but... any India experts?

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very likely that I'll be returning to India in October, this time with husband in tow, to attend a cousin's wedding.

That means an Africa trip is definitely off the cards this year - will dream of Africa for 2007 instead.

We're intending to extend the trip to include a wildlife tour and I'm thinking of Bharatpur for birding, Kaziranga for rhinos and Bandhavgarh for tigers. Was considering Kanha but have a tiger expert contact at Bandhavgarh that might really make that experience more special.

Any advice on appropriate duration in each destination, travel between them, preferred accommodation, guides etc?

All help appreciated!

Kavey
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM

If Nepal is safe, you may consider a trip to Royal Chitwan NP, where we saw lots of rhinos, but, alas, no tigers.

But, from what I have been reading, I wouldn't count on Nepal being a safe destination in October. Khatmandu, which was such a fun place, seems to be in turmoil.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I'll probably play it safe on that one - especially as I am Indian myself so assumptions may be made about loyalties I may have or not have - probably not a good place for me to visit...

Any other thoughts and recos?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM

My itinerary was:

Mumbai -->
Ajanta and Ellora -->
Udaipur -->
Jaipur -->
Agra -->
Khajuraho -->
Varanasi -->
Khatmandu -->
Royal Chitwan NP -->
New Delhi

Pretty good memory for a trip that was in November 1996. I have been back to India since, but only only on business and only to Mumbai.

So, I can't help on the other parks.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Kavey.
If you have a contact who can show yoou around then Ranthambore might well be a good call, however on the ocassions that I have been there I have not seen hide nor hair of a tiger.

I have had excellent sightings at both Khana and Bandhavgarh, sp? Both parks are challenging to reach, but the journey is well worth it, figure six hours from the closest major city with air from Delhi and others.

If you are up t getting around the country, Kaziranga is worth visiting. The one horned Rhino are quite intriguing and of course there is a decent population of Asian elephant. I had the good fortune of seeing a Bengal Florican (similar to a Korhaan) but arguably one of the rarest Asian birds.

The accommodations at the latter three parks ar "iffy", but in most cases are clean and neat, meals were mostly Indian, some offered "western" styled food.

OH and just re-read your post and note that you are not considering Ranthambore. So you should be fine with either Khana or Bandhavgarh.

If my memory serves me then B/garh is accessed from Khujarao, where the temples of Kandariya and others are a MUST.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks! Yes my contact is at Bandhavgarh not Ranthambore and works on tiger conservation projects there - I did meet him during my recent visit to Ranthambore where he was guest guiding for us.

Can you tell me more about the practicalities and timings of travelling to/ from Delhi and the various parks? The time it takes to travel will definitely have an impact on our decisions. THANK YOU!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I did India in April 2002 www.waynehazle.com/india/

Be sure to look up when the season is for birds at Bharatpur. If it is off time, like in April, it is pointless to go. there will be nothing there. October may be a good time.

I drove from Bharatpur to Ranthambore... a long drive. Saw three tigers. I know little about Bandhavgarh, except I hear you have much better chances of seeing a tiger there than Ranthambore.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wayne!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM
santharamhari

Kavey,

Have you considered Kanha. How about some of the south indian parks? Mudumallai, Bandipur, Nagarhole, Kabini??? Also, i expect CCAfrica to open their first camps by October.

Feel free to email me [email protected]

Hari

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Hi Kavey

We had success with tiger spotting in Bandhavgarth and also thought it was a lovely park. Our tigers were off the road a way so in came the elephants on we got and headed out to the tiger who just sat and looked up at us totally unbothered by the ele it felt quite unique to be on the ele looking at a wild animal. It was great. We are talking about heading back to India (after we have been on the two trips we already have booked for this year and next!) and will probably try to include Band again. Have been to India 4 times and still have trouble deciding where to go because we want to go everywhere! We also went to Bharatpur. It was Dec and there were lots of birds even a pair of Siberian cranes. It seemed quite busy to me but no problems with the birds. I am not sure how long it would take to get there from Delhi as we went via a few places to actually get there and did not do a direct to or from Delhi trip.

Have fun planning

J
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Hari, South India is probably a no-no purely because we'll be flying in and out of Delhi (the family wedding is to the north of that, up in UP) and I want to maximise safari time and minimise travel time where possible.

Bandhavgarh is pretty much a strong likelihood - the ele back viewing plus having a contact there really appeals!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Kavey,
I have forgotten which airport I flew into to get to Kanha, however from there drove 6 hours to Kanha.
Drove six hours from Kanha to bandhavgarh. From B'garh, drove to Khajuraho. Flew from there to varanasi and then on to delhi.

if i remember correctly flight times were around 3 hours both ex Delhi.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Ta muchly!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:53 AM
santharamhari

I would think Nagpur is probably the closest airport to Kanha. However, im not sure.....hv to chk

Hari

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

BTW Much appreciating all your help - still not a single response on the Asia board itself!

Any info on accommodation options at each park would be great too if anyone has any...
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:33 PM
santharamhari

Kavey,

Stay at Bandhavgarh, Kanha and Ranthambore?

Kanha stay at Tuli Tiger resort. I havent been there. Ranthambore, my options would be any of 3- Sher Bagh, Oberoi resorts and the amman resorts. Ranthambore will hv all the upscale options.

Bandhavgarh....i will chk and keep u postd.

Hari

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Won't be going to Ranthambore - see above - just got back from there - stayed at Oberoi Vanya Vilas - very nice.

Wish there were similarly luxurious options at the other places - or even remotely luxurious!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:43 AM

Tuli Tiger was building a luxury etension, this should be complete by now.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

My India operator has suggested:

For Kanha (Tuli Tiger Resort): www.tuligroup.com
For Bandhavgarh: (Tiger Trails Resort): www.indianadventures.com
For Bharatpur: (Laxmi Vilas Palace): www.laxmivilas.com

I can't say I'm that excited - but I don't think these parks have more luxurious options - nothing even approaching Vanya Vilas...

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:42 AM
santharamhari

Yes, i concur........nothing like the Oberoi unless, CCAfrica opens house by the time your trip comes about.....

I live in India and havent been to any of these resorts.....may as well wait for the CCA properties to open up.

Hari

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -