I got a ticket with FF miles!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

I was going to let the airfare determine whether I went to Africa or not this year (free, I go - pay for it, don't go. I called Delta even though I just knew they wouldn't have FF seats left at this late date. I gave the agent 5 dates to work with and guess what - they have a seat! Put in my vacation notice at work and emailed the camps - Mashatu and MalaMala. Waiting on their response before finalizing everything. Aug 27-Sept 6 is the magic date.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of FF tickets were you able to get, B/C or coach? I found it easy to get coach FF tickets on the ATL to JNB direct fligt, but I have been told that it is almost impossible to get B/C FF tickets for that route. Any different info., or suggestions for getting B/C FF seats on the ATL to JNB flight?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:12 PM

BTW, my dates are similar to yours -- 8/22 departing and 9/15 returning.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I only had the 80,000 miles to get coach. And I couldn't even get ATL/JNB on the way there, it's JFK. But he did say to keep calling back to see if any seats open up between now and then and he acted like it was really possible that other seats would open. So I guess keep trying. And lucky you - you get to be there much longer than I do!
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:47 AM

We are flying from US to Heathrow and then using FF miles from there to Joh...business class(British Airways)...no problems.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:52 AM

sundowner
Don't give up. Africa is like no other and if you have to fly coach then fly coach. It will be well worth it. You will see.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Sundowner,

Good for you for securing your trip to S.A. from JFK to JNB using FF miles.

When we traveled to S.A. in March, we too were able to secure seats w/ FF miles out of JFK and w/ only a month's notice.

Even though we live in ATL, they never seem to have seat availability using FF miles. Even though it added a 1.5 hour extra leg, we opted flying from ATL to JFK on to JNB and using FF miles of which we were able to upgrade w/ more miles to First Class.

Our thoughts were why pay when you can get first class seats for free out of JFK.

On our first trip to Africa, even though we tried to book the air 7-9 months out, they still had no seats avaible for using FF miles out of ATL. And this was before switching to the Airbus(premium and coach seats only)

Since JFK still is using the 747's they still have 3 classes of service.

In ATL it is getting tougher and tougher to book FF miles to Africa. Since only a small percentage of seats are available for miles usage, it's usually a roll of the dice if you call early enough to get them.

Anyway, did you secure the camps for the dates you're going? Let us know.