Hurghada

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurghada

Any recent visitors who can make suggestions? I have read that the desert safari should not be missed, what do you recommend? Jeep or four wheelers? Any recommendations regarding boat tours? Any and all info would be appreciated.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:48 AM

I think the 4-wheel vehicles are for quick (2-3 hour) trips into the nearby desert - perhaps with tea in a bedoin tent mid-way. My husband and boys did this and came back filthier than I have ever seen them (but they had fun!).

I think a jeep would be necessary to really go into the desert and explore - a several hour trip.

Sorry - don't know anything about boat tours.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM

"Any recent visitors who can make suggestions?"

Don't go - it's the Cancun of Egypt with even less charm (if that's possible)
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:29 PM

alanRow - Hurghada is not my favorite place -neither is Sharm- but people go there for different reasons. It's not as hectic as Sharm and a somewhat easier drive from Cairo. It's also a nice break from the hustle of Cairo. Personally, I prefer El Gouna.

bridgetxo - what do you plan on doing in Hurghada? How long will you be there and where are you staying?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:23 AM

I can't see the reason why anyone would travel several thousand miles just to get the same experience they would a few hundred miles down the road
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

I'll probably agree when I return that the stop could have been left out, however, on this trip I have no say. I suppose I would make the decision as I did when I booked Thailand: Chiang Rai instead of Puket. But...since it's part of the itinerary, I best plan ahead a bit.

Staying at the Intercontinental, no set daily itinerary. I must admit when I travel I love doing/seeing the "touristy stuff", I always say that's what makes the place different or special. So...riding a camel and seeing a belly dancing show seem appropriate. What about the Arabian horse shows?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:00 AM

Hurghada? Interconti? yuck
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Change of hotel: Marriott instead of Intercontinental.

I must say I'm always quite surprised by those who just insult instead of giving good advice/suggestions. My attitude has always been:
If the trip is not booked and you are asked for your opinion..give it. However, if the res is already made, then keep quiet and just give useful advise.