How many Days for the Okavango Delta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are finalizing the plans for our trip to Africa in 2018. At this point we are staying three nights in the Okavango Delta area. Is this the correct amount of time in that area or should we add an extra day to another part of Botswana, and eliminate one day here?
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 12:12 AM

The "okavango delta" is an absolutely huge area including at least 15 private concessions and the huge Moremi game reserve. So I think you need to be a bit more specific about what you are doing and where you are going.

I could easily spend 10-14 days visiting several different concessions, as there are some which offer mainly dry land activities, some entirely water based, so there is loads of variety within the delta area. If you are staying 3 days in a water activity only camp, that might be too much (I'd suggest two) but then if you are not visiting a camp with dry land activities, I would suggest you do that as well, or pick a mixed camp instead. 3 nights in a mixed camp is only just enough time to do all the activities offered (if they do drives, motor boat, mokoro and walks).

Really, I'd like to see the whole itinerary to be able to comment. Especially I'd like to see what other areas of Botswana you are visiting.
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 03:11 AM

I agree. We just returned from the Delta where we spent three nights in three different camps including one (Mombo) in Moremi. We both agreed that next time we would do a minimum of four nights per camp.
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 06:42 AM

It's pretty expensive and time consuming to reach "the Delta". I would try to stay longer if time and budget allow. For me, 3 nights would not be enough for the investment. Footsteps in Africa has some more affordable nice options or visit during the green season if budget is an issue. As stokeygirl says, try to mix and match camps by available activities.