how is the garden route?

Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how is the garden route?

Hi there,
I have already mentioned in a previous thread that I am planning to travel with my husband and 2 kids (2,4) to south africa in august for 3 weeks. Many of you have praised the garden route and so we will be there a few days. I would like to know what to expect? Would it be like pebble beach-monterey in January? Is it the same kind of vegetation and mountains?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Still no reply! Perhaps in the eyes of fodorites I asked a silly question.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:46 PM

The reason that I haven't replied is that I don't have any idea what pebble beach-montery in January is like, (or what it's like in August, for that matter), so I can't compare the two.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM

I fully agree with Celia. I could answer you fully about the Garden Route and would be very happy to do so but being a South African (and we are the ones you should be asking for advice after all we are local and know the terrain better than most) how am I supposed to make the comparison you ask of us as international readers? Where is Pebble Beach anyway! #39;(

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM

Pebble Beach and Monterey are on the California coast, south of San Francisco. This aren't the sunny Southern California beaches of lore. I would liken the Cape Peninsula area south of Cape Town to this area. I haven't been on the Garden Route, but perhaps the best thing to do is for those of you familiar with the Garden Route, describe what it is like in August...weather, terrain, etc. I think any info you could provide, especially concerning the weather would be helpful to Mariampeachy.
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM

I've just entered this website so I'm not familiar with its workings. The Garden Route is an area on the East coast of South Africa. It is so named for the indigenous forests of yellowwoods, stinkwoods and ironwoods. During August there would probably be a bit of rain but it should be good clear weather on the whole.
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM

We just got back from a SA trip that included the garden route...and we live in Northern CA so we understand your question re similarity to Monterey.

Short answer - yes it is similar to Highway 1 = beautiful ocean vistas, rugged coastline, excellent B&Bs, great restaurants, lots of tide pool areas for the kids to explore.

What is different is the access to the animals from penguins to baboons to ostrich to monkeys. Also we found it to be about 1/3 less expensive than CA.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:10 AM

I am also very interested with what everyone has to say about the garden route because I am fimiliar with North California. I would like to know would the weather in the garden route in july be similar to North Cali weather in January?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:14 AM

I am confused....do you guys mean cape town or the garden route are similar to monterey? I would also like to know if the winters in california are similar to the winters of the western cape...thanx
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:35 AM

The garden route is a coastal belt nestled behind the outeniqua range of mountains. its eastern flank is the Indian ocean, which is warms as you progress northward, consequently the climate is generally drier than the western Cape, immediate Cape Town environment, whiich receives frontal rain off the Atlantic seaboard. Unless the front is particularly large it seldom effects the Garden route from Knysna northward.

As for comparisons to the CA coastline, it is probably similar to the section north of Eureka, as the vegetation thickens from Wilderness northward. The forsets are thick with yellowoods and a variety of other hardwood species that are endemic to the area. Where it differs from northern Cal, Oregon and Washington is the micro climate, which tends toward a sub tropical climate, with rain being generated in the main from warm air blowing over the Indian ocean, condensing as it approaches the ranges and of course raining.

It is a laid back "holiday" feeling stretch of coastline, recently though, many south Africans have been decentralising and have started occupying the holiday villages year round, so the old beauty and charm, which is still eveident, is however slowly disappearing. None the less, the B&B's are good, the hotels are fine and the array of food and crafts along the route are charming and of a good to great quality.

Perhaps what is best on the garden route is the beaches, long white sandy beaches, which out of the SA holiday season are mostly desolate. The forests are gorgeous and enchanting.